Nacho (footballer, born 1990)
Nacho in action for Spain in 2013
|Full name||José Ignacio Fernández Iglesias|
|Date of birth||18 January 1990|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2009–2013||Real Madrid B||111||(4)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:57, 24 May 2015 (UTC).
José Ignacio Fernández Iglesias (born 18 January 1990), commonly known as Nacho (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈnatʃo]), is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Real Madrid mainly as a central defender.
Born in Madrid, Nacho arrived in Real Madrid's youth system at the age of 11. He made his senior debuts in 2008–09, playing two games with the reserves in Segunda División B and subsequently appearing in a further two full seasons in the category.
On 23 April 2011 Nacho made his first-team – and La Liga – debut, starting as a left back in a 3–6 away win against Valencia CF, and playing in the entire match. His second appearance came the following week, in a 2–3 home loss to Real Zaragoza.
Nacho was one of the youth team players chosen to accompany the first team on their summer friendlies in North America, prior to the start of the 2011–12 campaign. He came on as a substitute in all three matches, against the Los Angeles Galaxy, C.D. Guadalajara and Philadelphia Union.
On 2 September 2012 main squad manager José Mourinho announced that Nacho, along with Álvaro Morata and Jesús, would be promoted to the first team, but continue to play with Castilla. He became an official full-time first team member at the start of 2013–14, receiving the number 18 shirt after the departure of Raúl Albiol.
On 3 July 2014, Nacho signed a new contract with Real Madrid until 2021. He scored his first official goal with the main squad on 10 January of the following year, closing the score in a 3–0 home victory against RCD Espanyol.
After playing for Spain at under-17, under-19 and under-21 levels, Nacho was first called by the full side on 2 September 2013 for a friendly with Switzerland on the 10th, in place of injured Iñigo Martínez. He made his debut by replacing Real Madrid teammate Sergio Ramos early into the second half of the 2–2 draw in Geneva.
- Real Madrid
- UEFA Champions League: 2013–14
- UEFA Super Cup: 2014
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2014
- La Liga: 2011–12
- Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14; Runner-up 2012–13
- Supercopa de España: 2012
- Real Madrid Castilla
- Spain U21
- Spain U17
- Madrid continue impressive form; ESPN Soccernet, 23 April 2011
- Zaragoza dent Real title dream; ESPN Soccernet, 30 April 2011
- Mourinho promotes Nacho Fernandez to senior Real Madrid squad
- Nacho, six more years at Real Madrid; Real Madrid's official website, 3 July 2014
- "El Real Madrid se reencuentra con la Victoria" [Real Madrid returns to winning ways] (in Spanish). Liga de Fútbol Profesional. 10 January 2015. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Nacho, convocado por la selección española absoluta (Nacho, called up by Spain's full team); Real Madrid's official website, 2 September 2013 (Spanish)
- Spain 2–2 Chile: Last gasp Navas saves the day; Inside Spanish Football, 10 September 2013
- "Nacho". Soccerway. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Nacho at ESPN FC
- Nacho y Álex, sangre blanca en la familia Fernández (Nacho and Álex, white blood in the Fernández family); Real Madrid's official website, 3 May 2010 (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nacho Fernández.|
- Real Madrid official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Nacho at National-Football-Teams.com
- Nacho – FIFA competition record