Nacimiento-Fergusson Road junction with Highway 1 at Kirk Creek Bridge
|Maintained by||Monterey County, California|
|Length||24.5 mi (39.4 km)|
|West end||SR 1 along the Big Sur coast|
|East end||Mission Road in Jolon|
Nacimiento-Fergusson Road is the only road across the Santa Lucia Range in the Central Coast of California, connecting California State Route 1 and the Big Sur coast to U.S. Route 101 and the Salinas Valley. The road is well-paved and maintained over its length, but is winding and has precipitous drops. It is widely regarded as one of the best motorcycling roads in central California due to its ocean views and forest setting.
Nacimiento-Fergusson Road connects California State Route 1 at the south end of the Kirk Creek Bridge with Jolon 24.5 miles (39.4 km) to the east. It is the only route across the Santa Lucia Mountains between Monterey and San Luis Obispo.
The western terminus is located 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Lucia and 35 miles (56 km) north of Hearst Castle. Climbing up the steep flanks of the mountains, the western part of the road near the coast has more than 100 turns before it reaches the summit 7 miles (11 km) from the coast at an altitude of 2,780 feet (850 m), where it crosses the unpaved Old Coast Road.
From the summit, the road descends through hillside chaparral and dense oak groves on the eastern side of the ridge, which offer few views, and passes through the U.S. Army's Fort Hunter Liggett. Because the road passes through sections of Fort Hunter Liggett Army Base, you may need to show valid car registration and proof of insurance.
The road may be closed occasionally during tank, artillery, and other firing exercises on the surrounding Fort Hunter Liggett.
Two campgrounds along the road, Nacimiento Campground and Ponderosa Campground, are situated on the eastern slope of the Santa Lucia range within Los Padres National Forest. The Nacimiento Campground, nestled beneath Douglas fir trees alongside the Nacimiento River, is adjacent to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road and provides less privacy. Ponderosa Campground, known on some maps as "Camp Nacimiento", provides a private setting within a valley off the main road along the Negro Fork of the Nacimiento River.
Due to the history of wildfires in the area, campfires are only permitted in established campgrounds. It is illegal to camp in other locations, such as road side pullouts. Illegal camping or campfires can result in a $5,000 fine.
- Bisbort, Alan; Puterbaugh, Parke (2009), Moon California Beaches: The Best Places to Swim, Play, Eat, and Stay (4th ed.), Avalon Travel, p. 305, ISBN 978-1-56691-614-1; Schulte-Peevers, Andrea (2003), California (3rd ed.), Lonely Planet, p. 665, ISBN 978-1-86450-331-9.
- "Nacimiento-Fergusson Road". dangerousroads. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Kirk Creek Bridge is at Post Mile 18.91, i.e., 18.91 road miles north of the Monterey County line.
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road and Mission San Antonio de Padua
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road
- Up in Smoke The Raging History of Wildfires in Big Sur
- Los Padres Prohibits Camping Along Nacimiento-Fergusson Road