Nadeem Baig (actor)
Mirza Nazeer Baig
19 July 1941
|Occupation||Film actor, singer|
|Relatives||Captain Ehtesham (father-in-law)|
|Awards||Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan (1997)|
Nigar Awards (won this award 16 times during his career)
Mirza Nazeer Baig (born 19 July 1941), also known by his stage name Nadeem (Urdu: ندیم) is a Pakistani actor, singer and producer. He has appeared in over two hundred films and has won the 1997 Pride of Performance award. In Pakistan Nadeem enjoys the same status as Amitabh Bachchan enjoys in India.
Baig was born in Vijayawada in modern Andhra Pradesh which, in 1941, was part of Madras Presidency in British India. Nadeem Baig migrated to Dhaka, East Pakistan along with his family after the independence of Pakistan in 1947. He finished his high school at Sindh Madrasa-tul-Islam and attended some years of college at Government Islamia Science College, Karachi before he entered the Pakistani film industry.
Nadeem, along with artistes Talat Hussain, M. Zaheer Khan, Aftab Azeem, Saleem Jafry, and TV producer Iqbal Haider, were all discovered at a club in Karachi in the 1960s. He and his friends, Ameer Ahmed Khan and Qasim Siddiqui, won several music competitions. At one of those musical competitions, he was noticed by singer Ferdausi Rahman. She was impressed by his singing talent and encouraged him to try playback singing in Dhaka's film industry.
Nadeem's film career spans more than 50 years. He started his career in 1967 and appeared in his first film Chakori (1967) in a leading role with actress Shabana. The film was produced and directed by Captain Ehtesham, who, in real life, became his father-in-law in 1968 when Nadeem married Farzana, Ehtesham's daughter. The film did well in both circuits of Pakistani film industry, i.e., West and East Pakistan. He won a Nigar Award in the best actor's category for Chakori. Nadeem's films include Nadan (1973), Anari, Pehchan (1975), Talash (1976), Aina (1977), Hum Dono (1980), Lajawab, Qurbani (1981), Sangdil (1982), and Dehleez (1983). He made a popular screen pairing with actress Shabnam with whom he acted in most of his films. Besides acting, Nadeem has sung many songs for films. Nadeem has worked with veteran film directors of Pakistani film industry including Pervez Malik, Nazrul Islam, S. Suleman, Shamim Ara, Sangeeta and Samina Peerzada. Among the well-known actors, he has worked with Santosh Kumar, Darpan, Waheed Murad, Allauddin and Syed Kamal over his long career.
In his career, Nadeem is mostly voiced by Ahmed Rushdi and latter Akhlaq Ahmed provided his voice. He himself acknowledged that songs in Rushdi's voice made his work easier and played a significant role in his success.
- Chakori (1967) (Nadeem's debut film)
- Behan Bhai (1968)
- Diya Aur Toofan (1969)
- Daman Aur Chingari (1973)
- Aina (1977)
- Bandish (1980)
- Dillagi (1974)
- Shama (1974)
- Phool Mere Gulshan Ka (1974)
- Anari (1975)
- Jab Jab Phool Khile (1975)
- Pehchan (1975)
- Chote Sahab
- Mutthi Bhar Chawal (1978)
- Amber (1978)
- Pakeeza (1979)
- Doordesh (1983)
- Mukhra (1988) - a film produced by Nadeem Baig also
- Bulandi (1990)
- Anhoni (1993)
- Sargam (1995)
- Jeeva (1995)
- Jo Darr Gaya Woh Mar Gaya (1995)
- Umar Mukhtar (1997)
- Dupatta Jal Raha Hai (1998)
- Inteha (1999)
- Koi Tujh Sa Kahan (2005)
- Mein Ek Din Laut Kay Aaoon Ga (2007)
- Love Mein Gum (2011)
- Main Hoon Shahid Afridi (2013)
- The System (2014)
- Hijrat (2016)
- Sikander (2016)
- Shaan-e-Ishq (2017)
- Superstar (2019)
- Parey Hut Love (2019)
- Zarrar (2020)
- Tere Bajre Di Rakhi (2022)
|2014||Jaan Hatheli Par||PTV Home|
|2016||Tum Yaad Aaye||ARY Digital|
|Rishta Hai Jaisey Khawab Sa||Aaj Entertainment|
|2021–22||Ishq E Laa||Hum TV|
|Khaab Toot Jaatay Hain||Hum TV|
Awards and recognition
- Nigar Award for a total of 16 times between 1967 and 2002 as an actor including the Nigar Award Millennium Award in 1999
- Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan in 1997
Lux Style Awards
|2nd Lux Style Awards||Chaiperson's Lifetime Achievement Award||for his contributions to Pakistani film industry||Won|
|4th Lux Style Awards||Best TV Actor (Satellite)||Jaisay Jante Nahi||Nominated|
|18th Lux Style Awards||Best Film Actor||Superstar|
- Ali Zain (19 July 2016). "Renowned actor Nadeem celebrating 75th birthday today (includes Nadeem Baig's Pride of Performance award info)". Daily Pakistan (newspaper). Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Profile: The legend speaks Dawn (newspaper), Published 29 July 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2021
- "Actor Nadeem Baig's profile". Cineplot.com website. 19 May 2010. Archived from the original on 11 October 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2022.
- Film director Ehtesham dies at 75 Dawn (newspaper), Published 19 February 2002, Retrieved 26 March 2021
- Some milestones in Pakistani film industry The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 23 October 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2021
- (Saadia Qamar) Finding a new star The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 3 August 2010, Retrieved 26 March 2021
- "Dawn News package on YouTube". Archived from the original on 19 December 2021. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- "Pakistan's "Oscars": The Nigar Awards". Film Reviews on The Hotspotonline website. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- "https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/495568-who-won-at-the-mega-lux-style-awrds-2019" (18)