Nadeem Baig (actor)
Mirza Nazeer Baig
19 July 1941
|Residence||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Occupation||Film actor, producer, singer|
|Children||2 sons- Farhan and Faisal|
Mirza Nazeer Baig Mughal (born 19 July 1941), better known by his stage name Nadeem Baig (Urdu: ندیم) is a Pakistani actor, singer and producer. Since the beginning of his career in 1967, he has appeared in over two hundred films and has won various awards, including the 1997 Pride of Performance award. He is one of the most influential actors in his country.
Baig was born in Vijayawada in modern Andhra Pradesh which, in 1941, was part of Madras Presidency in British India. Nadeem Baig migrated to Pakistan along with his family after the independence of Pakistan in 1947. He finished his high school and attended some years of college in Karachi before he entered the film industry.
Nadeem, along with artistes Talat Hussain, M. Zaheer Khan, Aftab Azeem, Saleem Jafry, and TV producer Iqbal Haider, were all discovered at a club in Karachi in the 1960s. He and his friends, Ameer Ahmed Khan and Qasim Siddiqui, won several music competitions. At one of those musical competitions, he was noticed by singer Ferdausi Rahman. She was impressed by his singing talent and encouraged him to try playback singing in Dhaka's film industry.
Nadeem’s film career spans more than 40 years in 2010. He started his career in 1967 and appeared in his first film Chakori (1967) in a leading role with actress Shabana. The film was produced and directed by Captain Ehtesham, who, in real life, became his father-in-law in 1968. The film did well in both circuits of Pakistani film industry, i.e., West and East Pakistan. He won a Nigar Award in the best actor's category for Chakori. Nadeem's films include Nadan (1973), Anari, Pehchan (1975), Talash (1976), Aina (1977), Hum Dono (1980), Lajawab, Qurbani (1981), Sangdil (1982), and Dehleez (1983). He made a popular screen pairing with actress Shabnam with whom he acted in most of his films. Besides acting, Nadeem has sung many songs for films. Nadeem has worked with veteran film directors of Pakistani film industry including Pervez Malik, Nazrul Islam, S. Suleman, Shamim Ara, Sangeeta and Samina Peerzada. Among the well-known actors, he has worked with Santosh Kumar, Darpan, Waheed Murad, Allauddin and Syed Kamal over his long career.
In his career, Nadeem is mostly voiced by Ahmed Rushdi and latter Akhlaq Ahmed provided his voice. He himself acknowledged that songs in Rushdi's voice made his work easier and played a significant role in his success. Other playback singers who provided voice for him were Mehdi Hassan, Masood Rana, Mujeeb Aalam, Asad Amanat Ali Khan, Bashir Ahmad, Ustad Amanat Ali Khan and A Nayyar.
- Chakori (1967)
- Diya Aur Toofan (1969)
- Daman Aur Chingari (1973)
- Aina (1977)
- Bandish (1980)
- Dil Lagi (1973)
- Anari (1975)
- Pehchan (1975)
- Chote Sahab
- Mukhra (1988)- a film produced by Nadeem Baig also
- Sargam (1995)
- Umar Mukhtar (1997)
- Dupatta Jal Raha Hai (1998)
- Koi Tujh Sa Kahan (2005)
- Mein Ek Din Laut Kay Aaoon Ga (2007)
- Love Mein Gum (2011)
- Main Hoon Shahid Afridi (2013)
- The System (2014)
- Hijrat (2016)
- Sikander (2016)
- Shaan-e-Ishq (2017)
- Zarrar (2019)
|2007||Saheli (TV series)||Hum TV|
|2014||Jaan Hatheli Par||PTV Home|
|2016||Tum Yaad Aaye||ARY Digital TV|
|2016||Rishta Hai Jaisey Khawab Sa||TVOne Global TV|
Awards and recognition
- Nigar Award for a total of 16 times between 1967 and 2002 as an actor
- Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan in 1997
- Admin. "Nadeem Baig (actor)'s Profile". Cineplot.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- http://www.dawn.com/news/738001, 'Profile: The legend speaks', Dawn newspaper, Published 29 July 2012, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/lifestyle/renowned-actor-nadeem-celebrating-75th-birthday-today/, Nadeem Baig's Pride of Performance award info listed on Daily Pakistan newspaper, Published 19 July 2016, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- Ilyas, Aslam (1992), Silver Star Nadeem, Karachi: Screen Publications
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/66587/lollywood-a-brief-history/ Some milestones in Pakistani film industry, The Express Tribune newspaper, Published 23 Oct 2010, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- "Finding a new star" by Saadia Qamar, Express Tribune newspaper, August 4, 2010, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- "Dawn News package". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- http://www.citwf.com/person313453.htm, Filmography of Nadeem Baig on Complete Index To World Film (CITWF) website, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- Nadeem`s son ordered to pay ex-wife Rs2.5m, Dawn newspaper, Published 10 April 2010, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016
- Official Website http://www.supernadeem.com/
- Nadeem Baig on IMDb , Filmography of Nadeem Baig on IMDb website, Retrieved 11 Nov 2016