Nadeem Baig (actor)
Mirza Nazeer Baig
19 July 1941
|Occupation||Film actor, singer|
|Spouse(s)||Farzana Ehtesham (1968 – present)|
|Children||2 sons- Farhan and Faisal|
|Relatives||Captain Ehtesham (father-in-law)|
|Awards||Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan (1997)|
Nigar Awards (won this award 16 times during his career)
Mirza Nazeer Baig (born 19 July 1941), better known by his stage name Nadeem Baig (Urdu: ندیم) is a Pakistani actor, singer and producer. Since the beginning of his career in 1967, he has appeared in over two hundred films and has won various awards, including the 1997 Pride of Performance award. In Pakistan Nadeem enjoys the same status as Amitabh Bachchan enjoys in India.
Baig was born in Vijayawada in modern Andhra Pradesh which, in 1941, was part of Madras Presidency in British India. Nadeem Baig migrated to Pakistan along with his family after the independence of Pakistan in 1947. He finished his high school at Sindh Madrasa-tul-Islam and attended some years of college at Government Islamia Science College, Karachi before he entered the Pakistani film industry.
Nadeem, along with artistes Talat Hussain, M. Zaheer Khan, Aftab Azeem, Saleem Jafry, and TV producer Iqbal Haider, were all discovered at a club in Karachi in the 1960s. He and his friends, Ameer Ahmed Khan and Qasim Siddiqui, won several music competitions. At one of those musical competitions, he was noticed by singer Ferdausi Rahman. She was impressed by his singing talent and encouraged him to try playback singing in Dhaka's film industry.
Nadeem’s film career spans more than 50 years in 2019. He started his career in 1967 and appeared in his first film Chakori (1967) in a leading role with actress Shabana. The film was produced and directed by Captain Ehtesham, who, in real life, became his father-in-law in 1968 when Nadeem married Farzana, Ehtesham's daughter. The film did well in both circuits of Pakistani film industry, i.e., West and East Pakistan. He won a Nigar Award in the best actor's category for Chakori. Nadeem's films include Nadan (1973), Anari, Pehchan (1975), Talash (1976), Aina (1977), Hum Dono (1980), Lajawab, Qurbani (1981), Sangdil (1982), and Dehleez (1983). He made a popular screen pairing with actress Shabnam with whom he acted in most of his films. Besides acting, Nadeem has sung many songs for films. Nadeem has worked with veteran film directors of Pakistani film industry including Pervez Malik, Nazrul Islam, S. Suleman, Shamim Ara, Sangeeta and Samina Peerzada. Among the well-known actors, he has worked with Santosh Kumar, Darpan, Waheed Murad, Allauddin and Syed Kamal over his long career.
In his career, Nadeem is mostly voiced by Ahmed Rushdi and latter Akhlaq Ahmed provided his voice. He himself acknowledged that songs in Rushdi's voice made his work easier and played a significant role in his success. Other playback singers who provided voice for him were Mehdi Hassan, Masood Rana, Mujeeb Aalam, Asad Amanat Ali Khan, Bashir Ahmad, Ustad Amanat Ali Khan and A Nayyar.
- Chakori (1967) (Nadeem's debut film)
- Diya Aur Toofan (1969)
- Daman Aur Chingari (1973)
- Aina (1977)
- Bandish (1980)
- Dil Lagi (1973)
- Shama (1974)
- Phool Mere Gulshan Ka (1974)
- Anari (1975)
- Jab Jab Phool Khile (1975)
- Pehchan (1975)
- Chote Sahab
- Muthi Bhar Chawal (1978)
- Amber (1978)
- Pakeeza (1979)
- Doordesh (1983)
- Mukhra (1988)- a film produced by Nadeem Baig also
- Bulandi (1990)
- Anhoni (1993)
- Sargam (1995)
- Jeeva (1995)
- Jo Darr Gaya Woh Mar Gaya (1995)
- Umar Mukhtar (1997)
- Dupatta Jal Raha Hai (1998)
- Inteha (1999)
- Koi Tujh Sa Kahan (2005)
- Mein Ek Din Laut Kay Aaoon Ga (2007)
- Love Mein Gum (2011)
- Main Hoon Shahid Afridi (2013)
- The System (2014)
- Hijrat (2016)
- Sikander (2016)
- Shaan-e-Ishq (2017)
- Superstar (2019)
- Parey Hut Love (2019)
- Zarrar (2020)
|2007||Saheli (TV series)||Hum TV|
|2014||Jaan Hatheli Par||PTV Home|
|2016||Tum Yaad Aaye||ARY Digital|
|2016||Rishta Hai Jaisey Khawab Sa||Aaj Entertainment|
Awards and recognition
- Nigar Award for a total of 16 times between 1967 and 2002 as an actor including the Nigar Award Millennium Award in 1999
- Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan in 1997
- Ali Zain (19 July 2016). "Renowned actor Nadeem celebrating 75th birthday today (includes Nadeem Baig's Pride of Performance award info)". Daily Pakistan (newspaper). Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Profile: The legend speaks Dawn (newspaper), Published 29 July 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2021
- "Actor Nadeem Baig's profile". Cineplot.com website. 19 May 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Film director Ehtesham dies at 75 Dawn (newspaper), Published 19 February 2002, Retrieved 26 March 2021
- Some milestones in Pakistani film industry The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 23 October 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2021
- (Saadia Qamar) Finding a new star The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 3 August 2010, Retrieved 26 March 2021
- "Dawn News package on YouTube". Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Swami Ji (24 November 2017). "Pakistan's "Oscars": The Nigar Awards". Film Reviews on The Hotspotonline website. Retrieved 26 March 2021.