18 November 1964 |
Wandsworth, London, England
|Other names||Nadia Carina|
|Occupation||Television presenter, actress|
|Years active||1986, 1992-present|
|Spouse(s)||Justin Mildwater (m. 1992-1997; his death)
Mark Adderley (m. 2002)
|Relatives||Julia Sawalha (sister)|
Nadia Sawalha (born 18 November 1964) is an English actress and television presenter best known for her role as Annie Palmer in the BBC One soap opera EastEnders from 1997 to 1999. After winning the 2007 series of Celebrity MasterChef, Sawalha has continued to make appearances on cookery shows, not only as a presenter, but also as a chef.
After training at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts, Sawalha began her career in theatre. From 1997 to 1999, she starred in EastEnders as businesswoman Annie Palmer. Her other acting television credits include Casualty, Which Way to the War and ITV police drama, The Bill. Sawalha has also appeared in the films Clockwise, Top Tips, Sleeping with the Fishes and the BBC Victorian drama Station Jim.
For the BBC, Sawalha has fronted four series of Passport to the Sun, the Total series, TV Mail, Heir Hunters, Perfect Partner and Family Exchange. She is also a co-host on the live documentary City Hospital. Sawalha has previously hosted the BBC One show Living in the Sun, about British ex-pats living in Spain, made by Ricochet, and Wanted Down Under, which shows families who want to make the move Down Under (Australia, occasionally New Zealand) what it would be like to live and work in those Antipodean nations. She can also be seen on Accidents Can Happen, a daytime BBC One programme produced by Twofour, which follows families as they try to rebuild their homes and their lives following disaster.
In 2005, Sawalha presented the BBC One programme Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre which followed learner drivers as they learnt to drive and took their driving tests with varying degrees of success. Sawalha was one of the learner drivers who ended up passing her driving test at the end of the second series.
In the summer of 2006, Sawalha began co-presenting The One Show with Adrian Chiles. However, due to her pregnancy, she did not return to the show in the summer of 2007 and was replaced by Christine Bleakley.
In 2008, Sawalha returned to BBC One, to present the daytime programme, Wanted Down Under. She presented the 2009 programme Eating In The Sun,produced by her husband Mark Adderley and has Sawalha challenged by celebrity chefs to cook in their favourite holiday restaurants.
In December 2010, Sawalha starred in a fitness DVD entitled Nadia Sawalha: Fat To Fab, after losing three and a half stone.
In January 2011, Sawalha starred in the sixth series of ITV's Dancing on Ice with Scottish professional Mark Hanretty, but was voted out in a double elimination in the first week along with Angela Rippon and her partner Sean Rice.
Sawalha is the daughter of the Jordanian-born English actor Nadim Sawalha and his English wife Roberta Lane. She is the sister of television actress Julia Sawalha. In 1997, the three starred together in Dearest Daddy... Darling Daughter at the Young Vic Theatre in South London.
On 6 June 2002, she married second husband, television producer Mark Adderley. They have two daughters, Maddy (born 25 December 2002) and Kiki (born August 2007).
|1997–1999||EastEnders||BBC One||Annie Palmer|
|1999–2002, 2013—||Loose Women||ITV||Regular panellist|
|2006||The One Show||BBC One||Co-presenter||Replaced by Christine Bleakley|
|2007–2009||Wanted Down Under||Presenter||Replaced by Nicki Chapman|
|2009||Eating in the Sun||Presenter|
|2011–2012, 2014||Lorraine||ITV||Stand-in presenter|
|2011||Dancing on Ice||Competitor||Eliminated in the first week|
|2012||Kitchen SOS||UKTV Home||Presenter|
|Saturday Cookbook||ITV||Co-presenter||With Mark Sargeant|
|2013||Sunday Scoop||Co-presenter||With Kaye Adams|
|2015||Celebrity Big Brother||Channel 5||Celebrity housemate||Series 15
|Benidorm||ITV||Melanie||Series 7, episode 6|
- Guest appearances
- Hider in the House (2007) – Guest
- All Star Mr & Mrs (17 October 2012) – Contestant
- All Star Family Fortunes (27 July 2013) – Contestant
- Draw It! (5-9 May 2014)
- Celebrity Squares (24 September 2014) – Guest
- "Nadia Sawalha: Fat to Fab [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Nadia Sawalha: Celebs on the Run The Running Bug, 16 March 2012
- Dana Ullman, The Homeopathic Revolution: Why Famous People and Cultural Heroes Choose Homeopathy, page 147 (California: North Atlantic Books, 2007). ISBN 978-1-55643-671-0
- "TV Nadia in tears as she tells of hubby's suicide. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "How could you do this, Nadia; Suicide husband's sister hits out at EastEnder Annie for her 'callous' affair with star. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Priest in 'stop the suicides' plea over EastEnder Nadia's husband. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Hanged On Christmas Day; Heartbroken dad says: My son Justin died a lonely man. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "'I feel suicidal ...I'm losing the wife I adore' Tragic Last Words Of Eastender Nadia's Husband Before He Was Found Hanged. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
|Co-Host of The One Show