Naguib Oi Sawiris
ⲛⲉⲅⲓⲃ ⲁⲛⲥⲓ ⲥⲉⲩⲏⲣⲟⲥ
|Born||15 June 1954|
|Alma mater||Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Cairo University|
|Known for||Orascom Investment Holding S.A.E.|
|Net worth||US$3.2 billion (November 2019)|
|Spouse(s)||Ghada Gamil Sawiris|
|Relatives||Nassef Sawiris and Samih Sawiris (brothers)|
Naguib Onsi Sawiris (or Sawires; Coptic: ⲛⲁⲅⲏⲃ ⲟⲛⲥⲓ ⲥⲉⲩⲏⲣⲟⲥ; Arabic: نجيب اُنسي ساويرس, IPA: [næˈɡiːb ˈʔonsi sæˈwiːɾɪs]; born 15 June 1954) is an Egyptian billionaire businessman. Sawiris is chairman of Weather Investments's parent company, and chairman and CEO of Orascom Telecom Holding.
Since joining Orascom, the family business in 1979, Sawiris has contributed to the growth and diversification of the company into what it is today one of Egypt's largest and most diversified conglomerates and the country's largest private sector employer. Sawiris built the railway, information technology, and telecommunications sectors of Orascom. Management decided to split Orascom into separate operating companies in the late 90s: Orascom Telecom Holding (OTH), Orascom Construction Industries (OCI), Orascom Hotels & Development and Orascom Technology Systems (OTS).
In August 2012, Sawiris was appointed chairman of La Mancha Holding.
In September 2015, he offered to buy an island off Greece or Italy to help hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing the Syrian conflict. However, he conceded the plan could face challenges in terms of jurisdictions and customs regulation.
Sawiris is married, with four children and lives in Cairo. He speaks Arabic, English, German and French.
- "Naguib Sawiris". Forbes. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "Naguib Sawiris eyes 51% of state-owned gold mining company". Egypt Independent. 23 February 2020. Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- Graham, Emma (6 May 2020). "Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris sees oil at $100 in 18 months, says he would buy airlines". CNBC. Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- "About - Orascom Investment Holding". orascomih.com. Retrieved 14 February 2021.
- "Home". lamancha.com. Retrieved 14 February 2021.
- "Egypt billionare offers to buy island for refugees, wants to name it 'Independence' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". 4 September 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Naguib Sawiris". Forbes. Retrieved 15 February 2021.