|Origin||Oxnard, California, U.S.|
Nails is an American hardcore punk band from Oxnard, California. The group was formed in 2009 by frontman Todd Jones, formerly the guitarist of Terror, along with bassist John Gianelli and drummer Taylor Young of Disgrace. They released their debut EP Obscene Humanity in 2009, followed by the studio albums Unsilent Death (2010), Abandon All Life (2013) and You Will Never Be One of Us (2016), and a split EP with Full of Hell. Gradually, Nails have achieved widespread critical acclaim for their savage, death metal-infused sound.
The band formed in 2009. They have since released three full-length albums and two EPs. As of June 2014, the band is signed to Nuclear Blast. They released their third album, You Will Never Be One of Us, on June 17, 2016.
On July 25, 2016, the band abruptly canceled a European tour, with promoters claiming the band were on a hiatus and "had no plans to play live or record again." This also led to canceling their appearance at Ozzfest Meets Knotfest. Todd Jones later stated that the band had never taken a hiatus. In December 2016, the band returned by playing at The Power of the Riff festival and releasing a split 7" with Full of Hell.
On November 30, 2020, following the announcement of the 10th anniversary reissue of Unsilent Death, Young announced that he quit the band in early Spring. The day later, John Gianelli also confirmed his departure from the band. From this point, Todd Jones is the only member of the band.
In a review of Abandon All Life, Pitchfork wrote that "Nails cram their brief but constantly shifting tracks with a chaotic, complex blend of hardcore punk, D-beat, grindcore, powerviolence, and death metal." In a 2013 interview for Invisible Oranges, Todd Jones named crust punk, death metal, and Japanese hardcore as the band's foremost musical influences. Rushonrock cited Nails, alongside Trap Them, as key players of the contemporary American crust scene.
- Todd Jones – vocals, guitar (2009–present)
- John Gianelli – bass (2009–2020)
- Taylor Young – drums (2009–2020)
- Tom Hogan – drums (2009)
- Andrew Saba – guitar (2014–2015)
- Leon del Muerte – guitar (2016–2019)
- Touring musicians
- Jon Westbrook – bass (2009)
- Phil Sgrosso – guitar (2016)
- Obscene Humanity 12" (2009)
- Obscene Humanity 7" (2012)
- Nails/Skin Like Iron Split 7" (2012)
- Nails / Full of Hell Split 7" (2016)
- I Don't Want to Know You 7" (2019)
- Vallecillo, Alix (April 18, 2016). "Nails announce North American tour with Full of Hell, Terrorizer". Metal Insider. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Chichester, Sammi. "Interview: Nails Talk New Album, Abandon All Life". Revolver Magazine. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Roche, Jason (July 19, 2016). "Oxnard Band Nails Bring Punks, Metal Heads and Hardcore Kids Together". OC Weekly. Archived from the original on November 11, 2016. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Pasbani, Robert (July 25, 2016). "NAILS Cancel Tour Dates, Reportedly Go On Hiatus". Metal Injection. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Lach, Stef (October 18, 2016). "Nails: We never went on hiatus". Team Rock. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- Kennelty, Greg (October 17, 2016). "NAILS To Play THE POWER OF THE RIFF Festival In December". Metal Injection. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- "NAILS / FULL OF HELL SPLIT 7" COMING DECEMBER 2ND". Full of Hell. October 12, 2016. Archived from the original on November 1, 2016. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- Bellino, Vince (November 8, 2016). "Full Stream: Nails/Full of Hell Split 7". Decibel. Archived from the original on November 11, 2016. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Kennelty, Greg (December 1, 2020). "NAILS Bassist John Gianelli Also Quits the Band". Metal Injection. Retrieved December 2, 2020.
- Stosuy, Brandon. "Nails – Abandon All Life". Pitchfork. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Interview: Todd Jones of Nails". Invisible Oranges. April 26, 2013. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Holmes, Richard (April 28, 2016). "Totem Skin – Weltschmerz". Rushonrock. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- @taylorxyoung (November 29, 2020). "Here we have my first and final recorded contribution to NAILS. The 10th anniversary version of Unsilent Death is out now on @southernlordrecords featuring two previously unreleased songs, as well as the Obscene Humanity 7" remixed and remastered with those two songs". Retrieved December 1, 2020 – via Instagram.
- "Nails Singer/Guitarist Todd Jones on Touring Full Time: 'When I Tried to Make Music My Livelihood, I Hated It'". Noise Creep. Retrieved October 4, 2014.