Naini Industrial Area
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Naini was infamous for its prison, Naini Central Prison, where many freedom fighters—including Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India—were imprisoned during the Indian independence movement. The first official Airmail flight in the world arrived in Naini from Allahabad. Henri Pequet carried 6,500 letters a distance of 13 km. This was the first commercial civil aviation flight in India.
Naini is located on the banks of River Yamuna, opposite Allahabad City. To the north, across the Ganges, is Jhunsi, which is a part of Allahabad itself. It is noteworthy that there are no direct paths or roadways between Jhusi and Naini.
Naini developed into major industrial centre. Some of the most reputed industries in Naini include Alstom, ITI Limited, Bharat Pumps & Compressors (headquarters), Areva, Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Dey's medical, EMC Limited, Food Corporation of India (FCI), Triveni Structurals Limited (TSL) and Cotton Mills subsidiary of Central Government. Industrial development in Naini is increasing as the Government of India has approved Allahabad-Naini-Bara Investment Zone (3000 hectares) which is to be funded by the World Bank.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The culture of Naini is typical that of Allahabad. Hindi, Awadhi, Urdu, and Bagheli are the languages that are spoken there. Arail, near Naini, has many Ashrams. Saint Shri Sachcha Baba, one of the pioneers in the tradition of Saints of India has a centre there with many devotees from India and abroad coming to visit. Ashrams located at the Naini Ghat in the Naini area include:
- Shri Sachcha Baba Ashram
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Vidya Peeth
- Ishwar prem ashram
- Blind School
- Hospital for lepers called Leprosy Mission Hospital
Schools & Colleges
- Bethany Convent School, Naini Allahabad
- United College of Engineering & Research
- Nand Kishore Singh Degree College, Dhanuha, Chaka, Naini, Allahabad
- Saint John's Academy, Mirzapur Road, Allahabad
- Apex College of Education, Naini, Allahabad
- Madhav Gyan Kendra Inter college kharkauni, Naini , Allahabad
- Kendriya Vidyalaya ITI Naini,Allahabad
- Kendriya Vidyalaya COD Naini,Allahabad
- Laurels International School, Naini
Naini is connected to Allahabad via two bridges over the river Yamuna. The older one, Old Naini Bridge was built in 1927, is a two lane bridge. The new one, New Yamuna Bridge was completed in 2004. NH-2 joins the Naini to Rewa through Ghoorpur.
Tempos, Bus and autos are the main mode of travel in Naini-Allahabad. This route doesn't have a very frequent local bus service, but recently, UPSRTC has launched the city bus services, making easier the public transportation from Naini to other nearby places, including heart of the city.
Apart from Naini Railway, Cheoki station is also used, but mainly it is used for transporting goods. However in recent times, Cheoki railway station has started to become more important as many of the trains are getting their schedule changed where in it is replacing Allahabad Junction itself.
- "Govt team to inspect Naini roads". The Times of India. 3 January 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "10 Twin Towns and Sister Cities of Indian States". walkthroughindia.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Call for revival of Naini industrial area". The Times of India. 27 December 2013.
- 100 Years of Civil Aviation in India - Milestones. Press Information Bureau, Government of India. 25 January 2011.
- "Industrial units in Allahabad" (PDF). U.P Pollution Control Board. Retrieved 4 August 2012.