This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2020)
|Formed||4 March 2013|
|• Governor||Anne Kananu Mwenda|
|• Total||696 km2 (269 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,300/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Nairobi County is one of the 47 counties of Kenya. The third smallest yet the most populous of the counties, it is coterminous with the city of Nairobi, which is also the capital and largest city of Kenya.
Nairobi County was founded in 2013 on the same boundaries as Nairobi Province, after Kenya's 8 provinces were subdivided into 47 counties. Since December 21, 2020, County Assembly Speaker Benson Mutura has served as also the acting Governor of Nairobi. This came just three months after the previous Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi resigned as well.
In 2020, president Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta appointed Air Force General Mohamed Badi to head newly-created Nairobi Metropolitan Services. On 15 January 2021, Anne Kananu Mwenda was approved by parliament and sworn in as deputy governor of Nairobi.
The county is composed of 17 Parliamentary constituencies:
The Nairobi Metropolitan zone is a metropolitan area within the Greater Nairobi area which consists of 5 out of 47 counties bordering the county the area generates about 60% of the nation's wealth.As of 2022,it is the largest metropolitan area in East and Central Africa.
|Cities/Towns/Municipalities in the Counties|
|Core Nairobi||Nairobi County||694.9||4,397,073||Nairobi|
|Nairobi North Metro||Kiambu County||2,449.2||2,417,735||Kiambu, Thika, Limuru, Ruiru, Karuri, Kikuyu|
|Nairobi N.East Metro||Murang'a County||2,325.8||1,056,640||Gatanga, Kandara, Kenol/Kabati, Murang'a|
|Nairobi South Metro||Kajiado County||21,292.7||1,117,840||Kajiado, Olkejuado, Bissil, Ngong, Kitengela, Kiserian, Ongata Rongai|
|Nairobi East Metro||Machakos County||5,952.9||1,421,932||Kangundo -Tala, Machakos, Athi River|
Nairobi has experienced one of the most rapid growths in urban centers. This is unlikely to slow down any time soon because the population in Kenya increases by an average of about 3%.
The Nairobi City County Public Service Board (NCPSB) is in-charge of maintaining the county workforce. The board was established as per County Govt Act 2012 Sec 59.
|DEPARTMENT||NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES|
|COMPLIANCE, ENFORCEMENT AND DELIVERY||2600|
|ENVIRONMENT, WATER AND SANITATION||856|
|LANDS, HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT||1678|
|ROADS, TRANSPORT AND PUBLIC WORKS||1490|
|TRADE, TOURISM AND COOPETRATIVE DEVELOPMENT||2800|
|EDUCATION, YOUTH, SPORTS, GENDER AFFAIRS, CULTURE AND SOCIAL SERVICES||1874|
|FINANCE AND ECONOMIC PLANNING||686|
Urbanisation in Nairobi Metro (Percent)
Urbanisation by County within Nairobi Metro
Poverty Level in Nairobi Metro (Percent)
Poverty level by County
- "History | Nairobi City County". 25 April 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- https://www.devolution.go.ke/county-information/[bare URL]
- Omulo, Collins (21 December 2020). "Assembly Speaker Benson Mutura sworn in as Acting Nairobi Governor – VIDEO". Nairobi News. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Bonface Otieno (11 August 2020). "Nairobi County Speaker Beatrice Elachi resigns". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Uhuru creates Nairobi metropolitan services office The Standard
- "Nairobi Deputy Governor and acting Governor Ann Kananu Mwenda Joins Ten County heads who hosted British High Commissioner to Kenya, Ms Jane Marriott to the Central Region Economic Bloc (CEREB) Governors VIP Lunch at the Aberdare Country Club in Nyeri County. | Nairobi City County". 5 February 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Who is Anne Kananu Mwenda, the new Nairobi deputy governor?". Citizentv.co.ke. 15 January 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- http://126.96.36.199:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/111/Nairobi.pdf?sequence=3[permanent dead link]
- http://www.nairobimetro.go.ke/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=43&Itemid=90[permanent dead link].