The Nairobi Hospital
|The Nairobi Hospital|
|Location||Upper Hill, Nairobi, Kenya|
|Hospital type||General Medical Services|
|Founded||9 April 1954|
|Other links||List of hospitals in Kenya|
It is located on Argwings Kodhek Road, in the neighborhood of Upper Hill, in Kenya's capital city of Nairobi. The hospital is located approximately 4.5 kilometres (3 mi) west of Kenyatta International Conference Centre. The coordinates of the hospital are 01°17'46.0"S, 36°48'17.0"E (Latitude:-1.296115; Longitude:36.804718).
The institution was officially opened on 9 April 1954, as an exclusively European Hospital, in Kenya, which was the a colony of the United Kingdom. On 19 October 1961, it began serving non-Europeans and the name was changed to The Nairobi Hospital.
In August 2016, Kenyan print media reported that the hospital planned expanding its physical infrastructure, its staffing levels and its bed capacity. The planned expansion, budgeted at KSh5.7 billion (approx. US$57.2 million), includes the following:
- Increase bed capacity from 355 to 750
- Building of a 14-storey hospital skyscraper, to house inpatient and outpatient departments, a diagnostic centre, operating rooms, an intensive care unit, a specialist kidney department, and a specialised kidney and bladder surgery unit.
- Construction of a six-story parking lot, 1,021 parking bays
- Establishment of a water purification plant, capable of processing 45 cubic metres (1,589 cu ft) per hour
- Construction of a nine-storey office block with specialised medical services
- Erection of an eight-storey doctors’ plaza
- Building of a 14-storey centre of excellence
- Construction of an eight-storey university education block.
- Njoroge, Kiarie (1 August 2016). "Nairobi Hospital launches Sh5.7 billion expansion plan". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- TNH (1 August 2016). "The Nairobi Hospital: About Us". Nairobi: The Nairobi Hospital (TNH). Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Globefeed.com (1 August 2016). "Distance between Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Harambee Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya and The Nairobi Hospital, Argwings Kodhek Road, Nairobi, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Google (1 August 2016). "Location of The Nairobi Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- TNH (1 August 2016). "The Nairobi Hospital History". Nairobi: The Nairobi Hospital (TNH). Retrieved 1 August 2016.