Nairobi Java House
Java House (formerly Nairobi Java House) is a chain of coffee houses with its head office at ABC Place in Nairobi, Kenya, founded in 1999. It is one of the few places where one can find "export-quality" Kenyan coffee brewed and served in the region. The chain is known for its variety of Kenyan coffees and teas, home baked bread, Mexican cuisine, and free wireless Internet access.
Starting from the first cafe at Adam's Arcade along Ngong Road opened in 1999, Java House has grown to 44 locations as at October 2016. 34 of these are in Nairobi:
- ABC Place
- Adams Arcade (the first branch)
- Aero Club of East Africa, Wilson Airport
- Capital Centre, Mombasa Road
- Clyde House, Kimathi Street
- Embassy House
- Galleria Shopping Mall, Langata/ Magadi Road junction
- Garden City Mall, Thika Superhighway Exit 7
- Gigiri, Limuru Road
- Greenspan Mall, Donholm;
- Hurlingham, Argwings Kodhek Road
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Gate 14
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Terminal 1 B
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Outside Terminal 2 (Express Branch)
- Junction Mall, Ngong Road;
- Kenya Medical Association building, Mara Road
- Lunga Lunga Plaza, Lunga Lunga Road
- Mama Ngina Street
- Orbit Place, Westlands Road
- Phoenix House, Standard Street
- Prestige Plaza, Ngong Road
- Reinsurance Plaza, Aga Khan Walk
- Sarit Centre, Parklands Road
- South C, Popo Road, Mugoya
- St Ellis House, City Hall Way (Express Branch)
- Thika Road Mall, Thika Superhighway Exit 9
- Uniafric House, Koinange Street
- Upper Hill Medical Centre, Ralph Bunche Road
- Valley Arcade, Gitanga Road
- Waiyaki Way opposite Safaricom HQ
- Westlands Square, Ring Road Parklands
- Yaya Centre
- Hurlingham (Shell Petrol Station)
Mombasa has a branch at Nyali Centre while Nakuru has two branches, one on Kenyatta Avenue and one at Westside Mall on the Nakuru - Nairobi Highway. The Naivasha branch is at Buffalo Mall on the Moi South Lake Road and the Kisumu Branch is at West End Mall.
There are four branches in Kampala, Uganda: in the CBD at Grand Imperial on Nile Avenue, at Acacia Place on Acacia Avenue, at Village Mall, Bugolobi and at the Shell Service Station on the Lugogo By-Pass opposite Lugogo Mall. Java House also has a branch in Jinja at Amber Court on the Kampala-Jinja Highway.
In 2008, Java House founder and former Managing Director Jon Wagner was brought to trial for sexually harassing a minor. In 2009 he was sentenced to 15 years in prison along with two female co-defendants. This made him briefly one of the few foreign nationals living in Kenya to receive a harsh sentence under the law. However he was released on bail in early 2010 pending appeal. On March 22, 2011, Wagner was released after his conviction was overturned by Kenya's High Court.
- "Contact us." Nairobi Java House. Retrieved on 17 February 2011. "Head Office: ABC Place, off Waiyaki Way, P.O.Box 21533, 00505, Nairobi, Kenya."
- Xan Rice (August 3, 2007). "Nairobi cafes buzzing as real coffee finally comes home". The Guardian.
- Nairobi Java House site
- Sample menu
- "Our Locations | Java House". javahouseafrica.com. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Kiplagat, Sam (January 19, 2010). "Former Java boss freed on bail".
- Kumekucha blog (June 28, 2008). "Nairobi Java MD faces life imprisonment".
- Paul Ogemba (March 22, 2011). "Court frees former Java boss Wagner".
|This restaurant-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|