Nairobi Railway Museum
KUR 87 Karamoja at the Museum
|Owner||Kenya Railways Corporation|
|Public transit access||Nairobi railway station|
|Website||Nairobi Railway Museum|
The Nairobi Railway Museum is a railway museum in Nairobi, Kenya, adjacent to Nairobi railway station. Containing exhibits from the defunct East African Railways, it was opened in 1971 by East African Railways and Harbours Corporation. It is today operated by Kenya Railways.
The museum has maintained its rail connection. This allows for the efficient movement of museum exhibits for maintenance etc. It also allows additions to the collection to be easily placed on site.
The three operational* steam locomotives are stored securely under cover within the main railway works. Visitors must request an appointment to view them. These three steam locomotives are used occasionally on tourist excursions within the metro Nairobi area and to Naivasha and Konza.
The museum's collection of locomotives is increasing with the addition of some early diesel locomotives and, examples of passenger coaches. Recently (January 2011) a working miniature railway has also been installed.
|Railway||Number||Name||Manufacturer||Class||Wheel arrangement||EAR&H number||Status|
|Kenya-Uganda Railway||327||Vulcan Foundry||ED1||2-6-2T||EAR 1127||Display|
|393||Nasmyth Wilson||EE||2-6-4T||EAR 1003||Display|
|Tanganyika Railway||301*||Beyer Peacock||DL||4-8-0||EAR 2301||Display|
|East African Railways||2921||Masai of Kenya||North British||Tribal||2-8-2||Display|
|6006||Sir Harold MacMichael||Société Franco-Belge||Governor||4-8-2+2-8-4||Display|
|Magadi Soda Company||Hugh F Marriott||W.G. Bagnall||0-4-0ST||Display|
- Used in the 1985 Movie "Out of Africa"
- The operational locomotives are stored under cover in the main railway works.
- Wall, Graeme (30 October 2009). "Nairobi Railway Museum". Greywall. Greywall Productions. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- Wall, Graeme (30 October 2009). "Named Locomotives of East African Railways". Greywall. Greywall Productions. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- "Locomotives in Kenya". SteamLocomotive. Sunshine Software. 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- Currently plinthed in Jamhuri Park, Nairobi
- "Laying the First Rail in Mombasa, May 30, 1896". Worldview 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
Media related to Nairobi Railway Museum at Wikimedia Commons