Nairobi airport rail link
|Nairobi Airport Rail Link|
|Type||Airport rail link|
|Stations||TBD - includes new station Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and existing Nairobi Railway Station|
|Line length||approximately 17 km (11 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
The government of Kenya has proposed a rapid rail connection between Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and central Nairobi. As of October 2010, construction was under way, and tenders had been awarded. The project costs 800 million shillings ($US9.13m), and involves 2 km of new rail to connect to the existing railway at Embakasi
There are number of stations and stops along the current rail route to Embakasi:
- Makadara Railway Station - existing station
- Donholm Rail Stop - minor stop
- Stage MPYA Rail Stop - minor stop
- Pipeline Rail Stop - minor stop
- Embakasi Railway Station - existing station
Both Makadara and Embakasi stations will be rebuilt for airport link and all other stops either removed or rebuilt.
- "allAfrica.com: Kenya: Traffic Jams a Headache for Planners as City Residents Lose". 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Kenya Broadcasting Corporation: - KBC News". Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "NAIROBI AIRPORT LINK". Railways Africa. Retrieved 2010-11-09.