This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Cabinet Secretary for Tourism|
15 May 2013
|Minister for Tourism|
2008 – March 2012
|Succeeded by||Danson Mwazo|
|Member of Parliament
for Mvita Constituency
|Preceded by||Shariff Nassir|
|Succeeded by||Abdulswamad Nassir|
20 September 1967 |
|Political party||Republican Congress
|Alma mater||US International University|
Najib Balala (born 20 September 1967) is a Kenyan politician and the current Cabinet Secretary for Tourism, and the immediate former M.P. for Mvita Constituency. Balala is the party leader of The Republican Congress Party of Kenya (RC) a partner of the Jubilee Coalition.
Early life and education
Najib Balala the attended primary school, Serani Boys, which qualified him to Kakamega High, a national school. He studied Business Administration and International Urban Management and Leadership from the University of Toronto and the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.
Experience and career
- Prior to venturing into Public life, Najib Balala was in the private sector in tourism business and eventually joined a family tea/coffee trade business.
- He was Secretary of The Swahili Cultural Centre from 1993–1996.
- Chairman – Coast Tourist Association between 1996–1999.
- His tenure as the Mayor of Mombasa 1998–1999 witnessed a rapid transformation of Mombasa into an economic hub and drastic change in the affairs at Town Hall by team leading an anti-corruption crusade.
- Chairman, Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Mombasa Chapter) from 2000–2003.
- 27 Dec 2002 to 15 Dec 2007 : Member of Parliament for Mvita Constituency
- 7 Jan 2003 – 31 June 2004: Minister for Gender, Sports, Culture and Social Services
- Jan – June 2003: Acting Minister for Labour
- 31 June – 21 Nov 2005: Minister for National Heritage
- 27 Dec 2007 to 15 Jan 2013 : Member of Parliament for Mvita Constituency
- 11 Nov 2011 to March 2012: Chairman of the UNWTO Executive Council
- 17 Apr 2008 to 26 March 2012: Minister for Tourism
Balala began his political career as the mayor of Mombasa, Kenya, thereafter he successfully vied for the Mvita parliamentary seat in 2002 general elections. Prior to that, Hon. Balala has served as the vice-chairman Kenya Tourism Board (KTB); Chairman All Local Government Association of Kenya and Chairman of Mombasa and Coast Tourist Association. Hon. Balala has been the longest serving Minister for Tourism, a position that he has held from the beginning of 2008 till 26 March 2012 when got sacked through a reshuffle of cabinet. Najib Balala then formed The Republican Congress Party of Kenya (RC) in April 2012 that became a principle partner im the Jubilee Coalition together with the President H.E Uhuru Kenyatta (TNA), H.E William Samoei Ruto (URP), And Hon. Charity Ngilu (Narc)
As cabinet secretary of mining he has revoked licenses issued in the previous government. He has been maliciously accused of corruption by one company Cortec Mining of requesting a bribe of nearly 1 million dollars for the reissuing of the license. The minister by revoking licenses has made Kenya an attractive investment destination.
Honors and awards
- Silver Star (SS) Medal By President
- E.G.H (Elder of Golden Heart) Medal By President
- Africa Investor 2009.
- Best African Minister for Tourism 2010.
- Vice-President UNWTO World Tourism Organization
- Chairman UNWTO World Tourism Organization.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Najib Balala.|