|Born||1947 (age 69–70)|
Batmanglij was born in Tehran but received her undergraduate and master's degrees in the United States. She returned to Iran after her time in America but was soon forced into exile because of the Iranian Revolution. She and her husband fled to Vence, France where she studied cooking and began translating her mother's recipes into French resulting in her first cookbook, Ma Cuisine D'Iran.
In the 1980s Batmanglij permanently relocated to Washington, DC where she wrote her most celebrated book, Food of Life. After the success of that book, Batmanglij went on to write five more cookbooks, including From Persia to Napa: Wine at the Persian Table, which won a Gourmand Cookbook Award. and Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey, which was The New York Times compared to reading "a good novel—once you start, it's hard to put down." Batmanglij has appeared on The Martha Stewart Show and also teaches Persian cooking. On February 15, 2013, in his weekly article for the Guardian newspaper, Yotam Ottolenghi included a recipe that was inspired by a recipe in Food of Life, about which he said: "One of the most exciting cookbooks I've seen in a while, Food Of Life: Ancient Persian And Modern Iranian Cooking And Ceremonies, by Najmieh Batmanglij–I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Iran's glorious food culture." On 6 April 2016, she was the guest chef at First Lady Michelle Obama's White House Nowruz Celebration and Lunch. She is a member of Les Dames d'Escoffier.
- Ma Cuisine d'Iran (Grancher, Paris, 1984)
- Food of Life (2011-2016) and New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies (Mage, 1986 ISBN 9780934211277 and 1992-2009 )
- Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen (Mage, 1994, 2006) ISBN 9781933823263
- Najmieh Batmanglij (1 January 2007). A Taste of Persia: An Introduction to Persian Cooking. I.B.Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84511-437-4. (Mage 1999-2006, I.B. Tauris, London 1999-2007)]
- Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey ISBN 9780934211635 (Mage, 2002, 2004).
- From Persia to Napa: Wine at the Persian Table Mage Publishers, 2006, ISBN 9781933823003
- Happy Nowruz: Cooking with Children to Celebrate the Persian New Year (Mage, 2008)]
- Joon: Persian Cooking Made Simple, Mage Publishers 2015, ISBN 1933823720
- Persian food guru updates master cookbook
- Ma cuisine d'iran: Amazon.fr: N. Batman: Livres
- Gourmand World Cookbook Awards (USA Only)-Cook's Books
- For Full- and Part-Time Vegetarians, New York Times
- "NewsRoomAmerica.com - Remarks by The First Lady at Annual Nowruz Celebration". www.newsroomamerica.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Les Dames d'Escoffier International (LDEI)
- Q&A: Zal Batmanglij and Brit Marling on Sci-fi Cult Tale, "SOUND OF MY VOICE"