|Role||Single seat fighter|
|Manufacturer||Manshūkoku Hikōki Seizo KK|
|Primary user||Imperial Japanese Army Air Force|
The Nakajima Ki-116 was a late-World War II aircraft developed for the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force. It was essentially a Ki-84 Hayate with the Nakajima Ha-45 engine replaced with a Mitsubishi Ha-112. The design was handled by Mansyū Aircraft in Manchukuo, and thus it is often designated Mansyū Ki-116.
Design and development
The Ki-116 was essentially the last variant of the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate to enter flight trials. It was originally the fourth Mansyu-built Ki-84-I, adapted to take a 1,500 hp Mitsubishi Ha-112-II (aka Kinsei 62) engine, the same engine used in the Kawasaki Ki-100, driving a three-blade popeller borrowed from a Mitsubishi Ki-46-III Dinah. This conversion proved to be very successful, a reduction of 1,000 lb in empty weight being registered. The aircraft was still undergoing tests at the time of Japan's final defeat. It appeared somewhat longer and had an increased tail surface area compared to the original Ki-84.
One aircraft was built at Manshūkoku Hikōki Seizo KK at their plant in Harbin in 1945.
- Crew: one
- Length: 9.93 m (32 ft 7 in)
- Wingspan: 11.23 m (36 ft 11 in)
- Height: 3.38 m (11 ft 1 in)
- Wing Area: 21 m² (226 ft²)
- Empty Weight: 1,665 kg
- Powerplant: Mitsubishi Ha-112-11
- Related development
- Related lists
- Aeronautical Staff of Aero Publishers Inc. Nakajima KI-84 (Aero Series 2). Fallbrook, CA: Aero Publishers, Inc., 1965. ISBN 0-8168-0504-0.
- Bueschel, Richard M. Nakajima Ki.84a/b Hayate in Japanese Army Air Force Service. Reading, Berkshire, UK: Osprey Publishing Ltd., 1971. ISBN 0-85045-044-6.
- Caruana, Richard J. "The Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate" Article and scale drawings. Scale Aviation Modeller International. Volume 10 Issue 10 October 2004. Bedford, UK.
- Francillon, Ph.D., René J. The Nakajima Hayate (Aircraft in Profile number 70). Leatherhead, Surrey, UK: Profile Publications Ltd., 1966.
- Francillon, Ph.D., René J. Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War. London: Putnam & Company, 1970 (2nd edition 1979). ISBN 0-370-30251-6.
- Fearis, P. "The Emperor's Wings; The Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate." Article and scale drawings. Scale Aviation Modeller. Volume 2 Issue 1 January 1996. Bedford, UK.
- Green, William. War Planes of the Second World War, Volume Three: Fighters. London: Macdonald & Co. (Publishers) Ltd., 1961 (seventh impression 1973). ISBN 0-356-01447-9.
- Green, William and Swanborough, Gordon. WW2 Aircraft Fact Files: Japanese Army Fighters, Part 2. London: Macdonald and Jane's Publishers Ltd., 1977. ISBN 0-354-01068-9.
- Taylor, John W. R. Combat Aircraft of the World: from 1909 to the present. New York, NY: Parragon Books, 1969.
- Wieliczko, Leszek A. Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate. Lublin, Poland: Kagero, 2005. ISBN 83-89088-76-2. (Bilingual Polish/English)