|Slogan||Fearless commentary on finance, economics, politics and power|
Type of site
|Financial news and analysis|
|Owner||Aurora Advisors Incorporated|
|Created by||Yves Smith|
|Launched||1 January 2005|
|12,591 (US 11/2014)|
Naked Capitalism is an American financial news and analysis blog that claims to "chronicle the large scale, concerted campaign to reduce the bargaining power and pay of ordinary workers relative to investors and elite technocrats."
Under the pen name Yves Smith, Susan Webber, the principal of Aurora Advisors Incorporated and author of ECONned, launched the site posting the first article in December 2006. She focused on finance and economic news and analysis, with an emphasis on legal and ethical issues of the banking industry and the mortgage foreclosure process, the worldwide effects of the banking crisis of 2008, the 2007–2012 global financial crisis, and the aftermath of all related events.
The site has amassed over 60 million visitors since November 13, 2007 and earned it a place in CNBC’s 2012 top 25 The Best Alternative Financial Blogs, calling Yves Smith "a harsh critic of Wall Street who believes that fraud was at the center of the financial crisis."
Prior to the blog, Webber/Smith had graduated from Harvard College and Harvard Business School and had close to 20 years of experience in the financial services industry. She had worked for Goldman Sachs, McKinsey & Co., and Sumitomo Bank. She has written articles for the New York Times, Bloomberg, and the Roosevelt Institute.
In December 2006, Webber started writing because
Naked Capitalism features a daily Links article linking to timely articles and analysis from other websites. Starting in 2014, the popularity of the daily Links article caused a daily 2:00 PM Water Cooler article to be introduced to link to same-day news to make publishing the daily Links easier by reducing the number of links.
In 2013, Naked Capitalism released an e-book "Naked Capitalism Whistleblower Report on Bank of America Foreclosure Reviews"
Naked Capitalism features Yves Smith's contributions and articles and analysis from the following current major contributors:
- David Dayen, who also contributes news and analysis to the political blog Firedoglake.
- Edward Harrison, founder of Credit Writedowns, another financial blog.
- Philip Pilkington, blogger at Fixing the Economists and a contributing writer for The Guardian.
- Matt Stoller
- Richard Smith
- Nathan Tankus
- Lambert Strether, blogger at Corrente Wire.
- George Washington, blogger at Washington's Blog.
Some 30 other writers currently contribute or historically have contributed to the site.
- Smith, Yves. "About Naked Capitalism". Naked Capitalism. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Carney, John (27 January 2012). "The Best Alternative Financial Blogs". CNBC. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Speaker’s Biography: Yves Smith, Blogger, "Naked Capitalism"". Milken Institute. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Yves Smith". Bloomberg View. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Guest Post from Yves Smith: Goldman Sachs’ Glass Ceiling Remains Intact". Roosevelt Institute. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Davis, Charlie. "Naked Capitalism". false dichotomy by charles davis. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Strether, Lambert. "2-for-1 Links Split". Naked Capitalism. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- The Times Insider Staff. "Follow the Money: Gretchen Morgenson on Wall Street". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Yves Smith Interview #1". HarryShearer.com. 12 September 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Interview with Yves Smith #2". HarryShearer.com. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Interview with Yves Smith #3". HarryShearer.com. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Transcript: Yves Smith Interview, HARRY SHEARER INTERVIEWS YVES SMITH". HarryShearer.com. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Naked Capitalism Whistleblower Report on Bank of America Foreclosure Reviews
- "Bloggers". Naked Capitalism. Retrieved 5 November 2014.