|Slogan||Stripping the Cost of Travel|
|Service area||New Zealand|
|Service type||Intercity bus service|
|Chief executive||Sheryll Otway|
Nakedbus.com is a provider of low-cost long distance bus (coachline) transport services around New Zealand. It uses concepts such as yield management and no-frills to provide low fares. The company is so-named because "we have stripped out the costs that you don’t need." It is based on British online transport models such as EasyJet and megabus.
The business was earlier owned by Hamish Nuttall and Pavlovich Services, and in May 2015 was taken over by ManaBus, part of Souter Holdings, owned by Brian Souter. In August 2015 both companies became part of Souter's InMotion Group of New Zealand bus and ferry companies.
The company provides at least one headline-grabbing NZ$1.00 fare on each service, while "the average fare is equal to 50 percent of the prevailing market fares and all fares beat standard market adult prices by at least 25 percent"
Nakedbus.com reduces overheads by encouraging online bookings, although it also has agents, who may charge a service fee in addition to the website-quoted fare. Nakedbus charges its callers for use of its telephone reservation call centre, using an 0900 number charging $1.99 minute to make telephone bookings or enquiries; callers are directed at the beginning of the call to go to the website instead to avoid the charge. Lost property enquiries are dealt with online using a contact form. "99%" of customers do not need to contact the company by phone. Nakedbus does not have terminals.
Nakedbus.com sometimes code-shares with operators on smaller routes. So while most buses are in the standard black and white livery, a few buses are in another company's livery with a nakedbus sticker added.
In December 2010 Nakedbus.com launched Nakedsleep.com, a website selling beds and rooms in backpacker hostels around New Zealand. The site offers beds from $15 per person per night, excluding booking fee.
- Mills, Fraser (5 October 2006). "Online-only cheap bus fares prove popular". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- About[dead link] on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2009-03-30
- The Story of Nakedbus.com Article reprinted from NZ Business magazine on a Chamber of commerce website, retrieved 2009-03-30
- "nakedbus.com offers south new stripped-back service". The Southland Times. 6 October 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Cheap fares bus company expands to South Island". The New Zealand Herald. NZPA. 11 February 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Anthony, John (8 May 2015). "ManaBus buys Nakedbus but brands to remain separate". Stuff. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Continued expansion in New Zealand as Souter Holdings becomes InMotion Group". Souter Holdings. 19 August 2015
- "Sir Brian Souter's investment company extends presence in New Zealand". The Herald. 19 August 2015
- Agents on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2009-04-02
- FAQ on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2009-03-30
- Why does nakedbus.com have an 0900 number? on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2009-03-30
- Lost Property on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2009-03-30
- What do nakedbus.com buses look like? on nakedbus.com website, retrieved 2010-10-26
- "Bus does a runner". Stuff.co.nz. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Nakedsleep.com website