Location of Nalgonda district in Telangana
|Administrative division||Nalgonda, Miryalaguda, Devarakonda|
|• District collector||Gaurav Uppal|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Gutha Sukhender Reddy|
|• Assembly seats||6 assembly seats|
|• Total||2,449.79 km2 (945.87 sq mi)|
|• Density||670/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Vehicle registration||TS - 05 |
|Major highways||NH-65, NH-561, SH-2|
|Average annual precipitation||Normal rainfall 751.0 mm; average rainfall 670.2 mm mm|
Nalgonda district is a district in the Telangana state of India. It has a population of 3,483,648, of which 13.32% is urban as of 2011. The district shares boundaries with Suryapet, Rangareddy, Yadadri, and Nagarkurnool districts, and with the state boundary of Andhra Pradesh.
Nalgonda was earlier referred to as Neelagiri, the name given by some Rajput rulers and the name was changed to Nallagonda only after its conquest by Allauddin Bahaman Shah, Bahamani king.
The district had a major role in the Telangana Rebellion.
The district is spread over an area of 2,449.79 square kilometres (945.87 sq mi).
In 2006 the Indian government named Nalgonda one of the country's 250 poorest districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the nine districts in Telangana currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The district is divided into three revenue divisions: Nalgonda, Miryalaguda, and Devarakonda. These are sub-divided into 31 mandals and has 565 villages. Gaurav Uppal is the present collector of the district.
The below table categorizes the mandals into their respective revenue divisions in the district:
|#||Nalgonda Division||Miryalaguda Division||Devarakonda Division|
|9||Narayanapur||Thirumalagiri (Sagar)||Pedda Adiserla Pally|
|10||Narketpally||Adavi Devulapally||Neredu Gomma|
- "Vehicle Registration Codes for New Districts in Telangana".
- "Census GIS India". Censusindiamaps.net. Archived from the original on 2007-07-27. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Nalgonda travel guide". World66.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "New districts". Andhra Jyothy.com. 8 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 5, 2012. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "K Chandrasekhar Rao appoints collectors for new districts". Deccan Chronicle. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nalgonda district.|
- Official website
- Nalgonda (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Nalgonda factfile at APOnline.gov.in
- Neelagiri to Nalgonda. page 160