|District of Telangana|
Location in Telangana, India
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
Nalgonda was earlier referred to as Neelagiri, the name given by some Rajput rulers and the name was changed to Nallagonda only after its conquest by Allauddin Bahaman Shah, a Bahamani king.
Telangana rebellion history
It has a major role in the Telangana Rebellion. Much of the struggle revolves round Nalgonda and Warangal districts alone and later spread to other regions as well. Almost all the villages in the district were involved in this. the movement was led by Andhra Maha Sabha and Communists. Martial law was imposed in the Dist. in 1946. Many people were killed by Razakars or by feudal lords and Nizam's armies. Some 3000–5000 villages were liberated and self-governing bodies were formed. Lands were distributed among the poor. Many feudal landlords " Jagirdaars " were killed or ripped of their properties. Battles raged between Communists and Razakars (and Nizam's armies). Finally this ended with Indian Forces "Police Action" and Telangana along with Hyderabad state is merged into Indian Union.
Many leaders like Bheemireddy Narasimha Reddy, Raavi Narayana Reddy, Mallu Swarajyam (woman revolutionary) and her husband, Arutla Ramachandra Reddy and his wife, poets like Bandi Yadagiri, Suddala Hanumanthu, etc. played an important role in the movement.
The district's (peoples) part in the rebellion is even immortalized in the poetry of the Movement which were popular then. These were used as a means to enlighten the common people about the revolt and its leaders. One such poem by Bandi Yadagiri (Venkepally Village Nuthankal Mandal), who penned the famous song " బండెనుక బండి కట్టి… ".
'సుట్టుముట్టూ సూర్యపేట, నట్టనడుమ నల్లగొండ నువ్వుండేది హైద్రబాదు దాని పక్క గోలుకొండ'..
Towns in the district include: Aleru, Bhongir, Bhoodan Pochampally, Chandur, Chityal, Choutuppal, Devarakonda, Huzurnagar, Kanegal, Kattangur, Kodada, Miryalaguda, Mothkur, Nakrekal, Nalgonda, Narketpally, Rajapet, Ramannapeta, Suryapet and Yadagirigutta.
Clean drinking water, water supply for irrigation and educational facilities for all are perhaps the most important problems Nalgonda faces right now.
Parada village under Kattangur Mandal was suffering due to drinking water; almost all the villages were supplied with water from Krishna except this village.
In 2006 the Indian government named Nalgonda one of the country's 250 poorest districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the nine districts in Telangana currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
- Irrigation projects
- Major crops
|1 Bommalaramaram||2 M.Turkapally||3 Rajapet|
|4 Yadagirigutta||5 Alair||6 Gundala|
|7 Tirumalagiri||8 Thungathurthy||9 Nuthankal|
|10 Atmakur (M)||11 Jajireddigudem||12 Shaligowraram|
|13 Mothkur||14 Atmakur (S)||15 Valigonda|
|16 Bhongir||17 Bibinagar||18 Pochampally|
|19 Choutuppal||20 Ramannapeta||21 Chityal|
|22 Narketpally||23 Kattangur||24 Nakrekal|
|25 Kethepally||26 Suryapet||27 Chivemla|
|28 Mothey||29 Nadigudem||30 Munagala|
|31 Penpahad||32 Vemulapally||33 Thipparthy|
|34 Nalgonda||35 Munugode||36 Narayanapur|
|37 Marriguda||38 Chandur||39 Kanagal|
|40 Nidamanoor||41 Tripuraram||42 Miryalaguda|
|43 Garidepally||44 Chilkur||45 Kodad|
|46 Mellachervu||47 Huzurnagar||48 Mattampally|
|49 Neredcherla||50 Damercherla||51 Anumula|
|52 Peddavoora||53 P.A.Pally||54 Gurrampode|
|55 Nampally||56 Chintapally||57 Devarakonda|
|58 Gundlapally||59 Chandampet|
In 2007–2008 the International Institute for Population Sciences interviewed 1236 households in 43 villages across the district. They found that 90.4% had access to electricity, 97% had drinking water, 29.1% toilet facilities, and 45.1% lived in a pucca (permanent) home. 37.5% of girls wed before the legal age of 18 and 87% of interviewees carried a BPL card.
According to the 2011 census Nalgonda district has a population of 3,483,648, roughly equal to the nation of Panama or the US state of Connecticut. This gives it a ranking of 88th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 245 inhabitants per square kilometre (630/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 7.26%. Nalgonda has a sex ratio of 982 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 65.05%.
Some of the notable landmarks in the district are devotional Yadagirigutta Temple of Narasimha Temple, Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, Bhuvanangiri Fort, Samsthan Rajapeta Fort, Pillalamarri Lord Shiva temple, Jain Mandir at Kolanupaka, Buddhist site of Nandikonda and many more.
- Nalgonda dist. is famous for cement factories like Vishnu, Priya, Raasi etc. Ravi PVC and Sudhakar polymer pipes
- Nalgonda, Suryapeta, Miryalguda, Devarakonda, Bhuvanagiri, Mothkur Haliya, Konda Mallepally Choutupall, Kodad,Huzurnagar Chityala, Garidepally & Thirumalagiri are famous Trading and Business centers in Nalgonda dist.
- Nalgonda dist. has the highest number of engineering colleges apart from Ranga Reddy dist in the state of Telangana.
- Pochampally sarees which are famous in India are weaved from Nalgonda dist.
- Tollywood actors Kanta Rao, Prabhakar Reddy, Jaya Prakash Reddy (JP-Vilan), Venu Madhav, Uttej and lyricist Suddala Ashok Teja and noted film Telugu film directors N.Shankar (Encounter,Jai Bolo Telangana, etc.), Sagar Chandra (Ayyare movie) are from Nalgonda District.
- miryalaguda is very famous for rice mills
- "Census GIS India". Censusindiamaps.net. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "District Codes". Government of Telangana Transport Department. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Nalgonda travel guide". World66.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Telangana: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "No. of Gram Panchayats". Nalgonda.ap.nic.in. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "District Level Household and Facility Survey (DLHS-3), 2007-08: India. Telangana" (PDF). International Institute for Population Sciences and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "How Do I? : Obtain Marriage Certificate". National Portal Content Management Team, National Informatics Centre. 2005. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Panama 3,460,462 July 2011 est.line feed character in
|quote=at position 7 (help)
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Connecticut 3,574,097line feed character in
|quote=at position 12 (help)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nalgonda district.|
- Official website
- Nalgonda (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Nalgonda factfile at APOnline.gov.in
- Neelagiri to Nalgonda. page 160
||Medak district||Warangal district|
|Ranga Reddy district||Khammam district
Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh
|Mahbubnagar district||Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh|