|• Body||Nalhati Municipality|
|• Total||7.85 km2 (3.03 sq mi)|
|Elevation||48 m (157 ft)|
|• Density||5,300/km2 (14,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Birbhum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Nalhati|
Nalhati is a city and a municipality in Rampurhat subdivision of Birbhum District in the Indian state of West Bengal near the West Bengal / Jharkhand border. This town is named after the Shakti peeth Nalhateshwari temple, which according to the mythologies is the situated where the "nala" i.e. throat of goddess Shakti had fallen. It is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas in India. Nalhati Municipality was established in 2000.
|Cities and towns in Rampurhat subdivision of Birbhum district|
M: municipal city/ town, CT: census town, R: rural/ urban centre.
Owing to space constraints in the small map, the actual locations in a larger map may vary slightly
Nalhati is located at  It has an average elevation of 48 metres (160 feet). It is on the Chhotonagpur plateau. A small portion of hill with very low altitude can be visible within the town. On the hill the Nalateswari temple and Ana Baba Mazar Sherif are two tourist interests. The soil of this part of Birbhum resembles that of Bankura and Purulia as "Lalmatir Desh" (land of red soil)..
CD block HQ
The headquarters of Nalhati I CD block are located at Nalhati.
The northern portion of Rampurhat subdivision (shown in the map alongside) is part of the Nalhati Plains, a sub-micro physiographic region, and the southern portion is part of the Brahmani-Mayurakshi Basin, another sub-micro physiographic region occupying the area between the Brahmani in the north and the Mayurakshi in the south. There is an occasional intrusion of Rajmahal Hills, from adjoining Santhal Parganas, towards the north-western part of the subdivision. On the western side is Santhal Parganas and the boder between West Bengal and Jharkhand can be seen in the map. Murshidabad district is on the eastern side. A small portion of the Padma River and the border with Bangladesh (thick line) can be seen in the north-eastern corner of the map.96.62% of the population of Rampurhat subdivision live the rural areas and 3.38% of the population live in the urban areas.
Note: The map alongside presents some of the notable locations in the area. All places marked in the map are linked in the larger full screen map.
Places of interest
Nalhati is a tourist spot in West Bengal and is being promoted lately by the state government. It is healthy place to live for its pollution free environment. The Nalateswari Temple and Mazar Sherif atop the small hill is a must see of this town. Many interesting sights on the hill are no longer visible for growing urbanization. The Baidhara Shalbon at the Brahmani river delta and Chandramani hills near Bautia are nice place to go for a 15 km distance. There is good connectivity to Jharkhand, Bihar, North Bengal and south Bengal.
Located on the Chhotonagpur plateau, Nalhati is the source for good quality stone chips to South Bengal as there is a crusher belt near the town.
SH 7, running from Rajgram to Midnapore, and NH 14, running from Morgram to Kharagpur, pass through Nalhati.The section of the highway passing through the area was earlier part of Panagarh-Morgram Highway.
Nalhati has a delivery sub post office(MAIN), with PIN 731220, under Rampurhat head office. Branch offices with the same PIN are situated at Barla, Debagram, Diha, Gosainpur, Kaitha, Kalitha, Kogram, Modhura, Mustofadanga, Paikpara and Tejhati. The PIN code of Nalhati T.S Post Office is 731243. Speed post, Registered Post , International Post , Payments Bank are available in both of the Post Offices. Only Indian Postal Order is not available in the T.S Post office.
Two higher secondary school named Nalhati Hariprasad High School(H.S) & Nalhati High School for Girls just 1.25 km & .50 km apart from Railway station. There are also two UG colleges - Hiralal Bhakat College and Sofia Girls' College. Apart from that, there are many Secondary schools like Nalhati Vivekananda Vidyapith , Arisunnesha girls' High School , Nalhati Madhyamik Vidyalaya'.Nalhati is the centre of many village for many respect along with educational facilities and main markets. There are many computer educational points over Nalhati, one of them is the Nalhati Youth Computer Center. There is also a private English Medium school named South End School. Dance Academy is the dance school situated in Nalhati and for art Prachin Kala Kendra is the best choice.
- "Category, Year of Establishment, Area, SC, ST and total population in ULBs in West Bengal" (PDF). Department of Municipal affairs, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 9 November 2008.[dead link]
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Nalhati". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2008, Birbhum" (PDF). Table 2.1. Bureau of Applied Economics and Statistics, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Birbhum Police". Police Stations. West Bengal Police. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "District Census Handbook: Birbhum, Series 20, Part XII B" (PDF). Map of Birbhum with CD Block HQs and Police Stations (on the fourth page). Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "District Census Handbook Birbhum, Census of India 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Page 15: Physiography. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "2011 Census - Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "53063 Bardhaman-Barharwa Passenger". Time Table. Indiarailinfo. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "73033 Azimganj Nalhati DEMU". Timetable. Indiarailinfo. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Google maps
- "Birbhum Postal Zip Code Finder by Post Office". pincodezip.in. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- Nalhati travel guide from Wikivoyage