Nalini Joshi is an Australian mathematician. An Australian Laureate Fellow and Professor in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Sydney, she is the first woman in the School to hold either position, and is a past-president of the Australian Mathematical Society. Joshi is a member of the School's Applied Mathematics Research Group. Her research concerns integrable systems.
Joshi was born and spent her childhood in Burma. She gained her BSc (Hons) in 1981 at the University of Sydney, and her PhD at Princeton University under the supervision of Martin David Kruskal. After a postdoctoral fellowship in 1987 and a research fellowship and lectureship (1988–90), both at the Australian National University, she took up a lectureship at the University of New South Wales in Sydney (1990–94) and was promoted to senior lecturer in 1994. In 1997, Joshi won an Australian Research Council senior research fellowship, which she took up at the University of Adelaide, and became an associate professor/reader at that university a year later. In 2002 she moved to the University of Sydney as Chair of Applied Mathematics; since 2006 she has been director of the Centre for Mathematical Biology, from 2007 to 2009 head of the School of Mathematics and Statistics (associate head since 2010).
Joshi was elected a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in March 2008, and has held a number of positions in the Australian Mathematical Society, including its presidency from December 2008 to September 2010. She is chair of the National Committee for Mathematical Sciences (January 2011 – December 2014) a board member of the Australian Mathematics Trust (2010–13).
In 2012, Joshi became an ARC Laureate Fellow, which involves the five-year project, Geometric construction of critical solutions of nonlinear systems. Along with this award, she received the Georgina Sweet Fellowship for women in science and technology disciplines.
- "A good head for figures". University of Sydney. 18 May 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Office bearers". Australian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Nalini Joshi". The Mathematics Genealogy Project. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Research supervisor profile for Professor Nalini Joshi". Research Supervisor Connect. University of Sydney. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "N. Joshi: Brief History". University of Sydney. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Professor Nalini Joshi". University of Sydney. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Professor Nalini Joshi: Geometric construction of critical solutions of nonlinear systems" (PDF). Australian Research Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 October 2012.
- Leatherdale, Verity (30 July 2012). "Three Sydney researchers acknowledged with Australian Laureate Fellowships". University of Sydney. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Garrick, Jesse (2 March 2015). "LMS 150th Anniversary Hardy Lecture Tour". London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 16 August 2015.