Nam Định Province
|Nam Định Province|
Tỉnh Nam Định
|Nickname(s): Southern Stability|
Location of Nam Định within Vietnam
|Region||Red River Delta|
|• People's Council Chair||Phạm Hồng Hà|
|• People's Committee Chair||Nguyễn Văn Tuấn|
|• Total||1,676 km2 (647 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
|ISO 3166 code||VN-67|
Nam Định is subdivided into 10 district-level sub-divisions:
- 9 districts:
- 1 provincial city:
- Nam Định (capital)
They are further subdivided into 15 commune-level towns (or townlets), 194 communes, and 20 wards.
Nam Định Province can be divided into 3 regions: The low-lying delta region - Vụ Bản District, Ý Yên District, Nam Trực District, Trực Ninh District, Xuân Trường District. This region has a high level of agriculture and, textile and manufacturing industries.
The lowland coastal region - is home to districts such as, Giao Thủy, Hải Hậu, and Nghĩa Hưng. Nam Định's coastline is 72 kilometres (45 mi) long and has favorable conditions for raising livestock and fishing. Here one will also find Xuân Thủy National Nature Reserve.
The Central region - where Nam Định is located, is supported through textile and garment industries, mechanical and processing industries, and traditional trades. Along with a general services sector, there is a growing professional sector as well. Nam Định is at the center of Việt Nam's growing textile and trade gateway to the south via the Red River Delta.
Nam Định has four major estuaries: Ba Lạt, Đáy, Lạch Giang, and Hà Lạn.
Like most other provinces in the North Delta region, Nam Đinh has a humid subtropical climate. The average annual temperature ranges from 23 to 24 °C (73 to 75 °F). The coldest months are December and January, with average temperatures ranging from 16 to17 °C (61 to 63 °F) and the hottest month being July, with temperatures over 29 °C (84 °F). The average annual rainfall is between 1,750 millimetres (69 in) and 1,800 millimetres (71 in) per year, divided into two distinct seasons: there rainy season from May to October, and the non-rainy, or less rainy, season) from November to February. The total number of hours of sunlight per year averages out about 1,650 to 1,700 hours per year, and the average relative humidity is 80 to 85 per cent. Additionally, being next to the Gulf of Tonkin, Nam Định is normally affected by tropical storms and monsoons, with an average of four to six attacks per year.
In 2000 the estimated provincial gross domestic product reached 400,000 United States dollars (5.92 billion đồngs). In 2005, the economy structure was as following: agriculture, forestry and fishing 41 per cent; industrial and construction 21.5 per cent; and services 38 per cent.
- Hòa Xá Industrial Zone: Located in Nam Định with a total area of 808 acres (3.27 km2). The total estimated investment of about US$18.76 billion, with approx. 86 investment projects.
- Mỹ Trung Industrial Park: Located in the Mỹ Lộc District and Lộc Hạ Ward, in the city of Nam Định, bordering the National Highway 10. This area is still under development, with a total area of 370 acres (1.5 km2) but can expand up to 470 acres (1.9 km2). The total expected investment is approximately $16.2 – $19 million US (300-350 billion VND).
- Thành An Industrial Park: Located in the colonial part of Nam Định and Tân Thành - Vụ Bản, which borders National Highway 10 and connecting roads from National Highway 10 to Road 21, which leads to the port of Hải Thịnh and other southern districts of the province. Thành An Industrial Park can expand their planning up to 370 acres (1.5 km2). The total investment for Thành An is approximately $19 – $21.6 million US (350-400 billion VND).
- Bảo Minh Industrial Park: Belongs to the District Vụ Bản - Nam Định, located south of the National Highway 10 and approx. 10 km from Nam Định. Bảo Minh Industrial Park is 494 acres (2.00 km2) and has a total investment of $16.2 - $21.6 million US (300-400 billion VND).
- Hồng Tiến Industrial Park: Located just 25 km away from Nam Định, in District Ý Yên, its convenient location has it settled next to the National Highway 10, 6 km away from Binh Bình (which is close to Ninh Phúc Port), and also along the North-South National railway. The total area of Hồng Tiến is about 620 acres (2.5 km2). This industrial park was first setup as an investment infrastructure for Vietnam Petroleum Corporation.
- Ninh Cơ Industrial Park: Located along the Ninh Cơ River, it is approx. 500 ha, which includes: Seaports, ship building, industrial engineering, import/export processing and transporting, and tourism services along the river in two districts (Hải Hậu and Nghĩa Hưng). Ninh Cơ Industrial Park is operated by VINASHIN Shipbuilding Company.
Culture and society
Nam Định Province is well known in Vietnam for its traditional education system and schools. Nam Định has four universities. Lê Hồng Phong High School is one of the top ranked high schools in all of Vietnam. Other top schools in Nam Định are Giao Thủy A High School, Trần Hưng Đạo High School, Nguyễn Khuyến High School, and Hải Hậu A, which were all in Vietnam's top 200 schools (National High School Standards - 2003). Nam Định has 16 schools in the top 200 (as of 2003), in addition to Vietnam's top 100 schools of 2009, Nam Định currently has five schools.