Nam performing at the 2018 Indiestance Final Concert
|Born||May 10, 1994|
Hanam, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Nam Tae-hyeon|
Nam Tae-hyun (born in May 10, 1994), also known as Taehyun, is a South Korean singer, songwriter, producer and actor. His own music label, "South Buyers Club", was founded in March 2017. Under the label, Nam introduced the band "South Club", in which he plays an active role of a leader, vocalist, guitarist, and main composer. He was previously the main vocalist, composer and producer of K-pop group Winner.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Production credits
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Other
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Life and career
Pre-debut: Win: Who Is Next
Prior to his debut as a member of Winner, Nam performed as a backup dancer for the YG Family Concert 2011.
In 2013, he competed in the reality program Win: Who Is Next as a trainee in "Team A", which he went on to debut as a member of group Winner. Nam co-composed and co-wrote two songs that were used to compete on the show.
2014–2015: Official debut, 2014 S/S, and television appearances
Nam participated in the production of Winner's debut album, 2014 S/S, which was released in August 2014. He co-composed three songs from the album – "But (사랑하지마)", "Tonight (이 밤)" and his solo track "Confession (고백하는거야)". The album topped several charts, including the Gaon Music Chart as well as the Billboard's World Albums Chart.
In 2015, while the group was on hiatus, Nam made his acting debut on web drama Midnight Girl. That same year, he played a supporting role in the drama Late Night Restaurant. He was also cast in the joint Chinese-Korean production Under the Black Moonlight.
2016: Exit : E, television appearances, and departure from Winner
After nearly 18 months of hiatus, Winner's comeback mini-album Exit : E was released on February 1. The album featured five tracks, including "Pricked", and double title tracks "Baby Baby" and "센치해 (Sentimental)". Nam played a major role in the production of both title tracks, as well as for his solo "좋더라 (I'm Young)".
On October 12, YG Entertainment stated that Nam would be halting promotional activities and receiving treatment for mental health issues. As a result, Winner's comeback was delayed indefinitely. Later, on November 25, it was announced that he had withdrawn from the group and had terminated his contract with YG Entertainment. The following day, he posted a handwritten letter on his personal Instagram account containing his apology, gratitude to fans and pledge to return with other music and projects.
2017–present: Music creations and South Buyers Club
Nam continues sharing his music creations and covers on his SoundCloud account, including a cover of Radiohead's "Creep", Park Hyo-shin's "Beautiful Tomorrow", and "Breath (숨)". His influences arise from artists across many genres, such as Nirvana, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, B.B. King, and Eric Clapton. He then created a Tumblr site on January 5, posting announcements and communicating with fans from time to time. On January 23, Nam started recruiting applications for his upcoming band.
On March 25, Nam, together with his rumored band, South Club, held a guerrilla show at Pet Sounds Bar in Korea. The 30-minute show was livestreamed on platforms such as Instagram, and popular China video-sharing platform Miaopai. South Club performed a total of four songs, including tracks from The Beatles and Foster the People. On April 11, Nam announced that his music label "South Buyers Club" has officially been registered as of March 30. On May 26, South Club released the music video for their first pre-release track "Hug Me," which was a ballad rock track.
South Club's first EP 90 was released on June 27, along with music videos for the two title tracks: "Liar" and "I got the Blues.". The name of the album was inspired by the expression of freedom of youths in the 90s. It was also due to the fact that all members of the band were born after the year 1990. On July 9, the band came back with their first single titled "아니 (No)". After the member Yooni's departure, the band's first release as a four piece was the second single "누굴 위한 노래인가요 (Who Is This Song For?)", which became available for streaming on December 5, 2017.
On July 31, 2017, Nam started his career as a radio DJ. He broadcast live on the Casper Radio Vlive channel on Mondays, at 11pm, to talk about various topics and to share his music with his fans. On his 32nd broadcast, on April 9, 2018, Nam announced that he would be doing his last broadcast on May 7, in order to focus more on his music.
|2013||Team A||"Go Up"||Co-lyricist||Win: Who Is Next, "Final Battle"|
|"Just Another Boy"|
|2014||Winner||"Confession (고백하는거야)"||Lyricist, co-composer||2014 S/S|
|"But (사랑하지마)"||Co-lyricist, co-composer|
|"Tonight (이 밤)"|
|2016||"센치해 (Sentimental)"||Exit : E|
|"Baby Baby"||Co-lyricist, composer, co-arranger|
|"좋더라 (I'm Young)"||Lyricist, co-composer|
Singles as a lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|"Confession (고백하는 거야)"||2014||19||—||—||
|"Pricked (사랑가시)" with Mino||2016||7||229||4||
|"I'm Young (좋더라)"||30||—||—||
|"Take Me Out"||2017||—||—||—||N/A||Black OST|
|"Boy and girl (소년, 소녀)"||—||—||—||N/A||Children of 20th Century OST|
Singles as a featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|"Spoiler" (Japanese Mix)
Epik High (featuring Taehyun of Winner)
|2014||—||N/A||Shoebox Japan Edition|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2015||MBC Every 1||Midnight's Girl||Gong Ji-dan|
|SBS||Late Night Restaurant||Min-woo|
|2016||Sohu TV||Under The Black Moonlight||Lee Kang-woo|
|2013||Mnet||Win: Who Is Next||As a Team A member|
|2016||tvN||Actor School||Ep. 1-10|
|2016||JTBC||Half-Moon Friends||As a teacher|
|2018||Netflix||YG Future Strategy Office||Cameo (ep. 1)|
|2018||tvN||In-Law In Practice||as himself|
|2017–present||CaspermusicTV||Nam Taehyun's 11pm||DJ (every Monday)|
- "Nam Tae Hyun - YG Stage Profile". YG Stage. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "'WIN' 강승윤 속한 A팀, 최종 우승…'WINNER'로 데뷔". Nate. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- "Winner Reveals its 10-Song Tracklist for Debut Album". Mnet. August 6, 2014.
- "Billboard World Album Chart". Billboard. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Winner's Nam Tae Hyun to Make Acting Debut through Web Drama". Mwave. March 24, 2015.
- "WINNER Nam Tae-hyun to star in 'Midnight Diner'". Kpop Herald. June 5, 2015.
- "WINNER's NAM TAE HYUN & KIM JIN WOO to Feature in the Drama Series Jointly Made by Korean & Chinese Production Companies". YG Life. September 4, 2015.
- "WINNER to unveil entry single 'Pricked'". Kpop Herald. January 8, 2016.
- "'Pricked,' WINNER's new song tops". Kpop Herald. January 11, 2016.
- "[Herald Interview] Winner up next in YG baton relay". The Korea Herald. February 3, 2016.
- "Winner′s Nam Tae Hyun to Receive Acting Lessons From Park Shin Yang on ′Actor School′". Mwave. December 24, 2015.
- "Stars get acting lessons in new TV show". Korea Times. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "Winner's Taehyun tentatively halts group activities, citing health problems". Kpop Herald. October 13, 2016.
- "2NE1 disbands, and Winner member leaves group". Korea JoongAng Daily. November 28, 2016.
- Choi, Na-yung. "YG, "2NE1 공식해체·위너 남태현 탈퇴" [공식발표] ("YG, "2NE1 Officially Disbands, Nam Tae-hyun Leaves WINNER" [official announcement]". OSEN. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "Winner's departing Nam says he's grateful". Korea JoongAng Daily. November 29, 2016.
- Chon, Hyo-jin. "'탈퇴' 남태현 "위너로 큰 사랑 받아 행복, 음악 계속 하겠다" [공식입장 전문] (Nam Taehyun, "I Was Very Happy To Have Received Such Great Love As Nam Tae Hyun of WINNER, I Will Continue Making Music") [full text of the official statement]". dongA.com. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "SOUTH_CLUB". SoundCloud. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Namtaehyun". south-b-club.tumblr.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Nam만고양이 (2017-03-25), 170325 South Club(남태현) 게릴라 공연 노래모음, retrieved 2017-04-08
- "[공식입장] 前 위너 남태현, 개인 레이블 설립…밴드 활동 시동". Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- "Nam Tae Hyun Returns as ′South Club′". Mwave. June 1, 2017.
- "Nam Tae-hyun-leads South Club to drop 1st EP on Tuesday". Kpop Herald. June 22, 2017.
- "Nam Taehyun's Band South Club's New Song 'No' Release on the 8th at Noon…'Anticipation UP'". Yahoo. BNT News. July 7, 2017.
- "who's this song for release".
- "Nam Taehyun's 1st broadcast". Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "2014 Download Chart - August". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "2016년 03주차 Download Chart (Week 03 - 2016)". Gaon Music Chart. January 21, 2016.
- "2016년 06주차 Download Chart (Week 06 - 2016)". Gaon Music Chart. February 15, 2016.
Media related to Nam Tae-hyun at Wikimedia Commons