|Elevation||360 m (1,180 ft)|
|Area code(s)||(+258) 26|
Nampula is the centre of business in northern Mozambique. It has a few western-style hotels, restaurants and shopping centres. It also has a small international airport connecting to Nairobi in Kenya and Johannesburg in South Africa, and is a transport hub for local transport in northern Mozambique; however, it is not noted as a tourist destination itself.
Abel Xavier, a Portuguese football player, and Carlos Queiroz, a Portuguese football manager formerly in charge of Real Madrid, were also from Nampula, at that time a city of the Portuguese Overseas Province of Mozambique.
- The city is home to the Faculty of Health Science, Universidade Lurio. In 2009 a course in optometry was launched, the first of its kind in Mozambique. The course is supported through the Mozambique Eyecare Project. The other partners include the Dublin Institute of Technology, University of Ulster and Brien Holden Vision Institute.
- There is a Portuguese international school, Escola Lusófona de Nampula.
- The city has an airport, Nampula International Airport, which is located 4 kilometres away from the city centre. Kenya Airways currently operates thrice-a-week flights from Nairobi, while Airlink connects to Johannesburg in South Africa. LAM connects to domestic places like Pemba, Lichinga, Tete, Beira, Vilankulo, Quelimane and Maputo.
- A railway line serves the city. Additionally, a railway workshop is located in the city.
- The bus stand, which can be accessed from any part of the city within 10 minutes, connects with places within Nampula province and in the neighbouring provinces. The tourist location Ilha de Moçambique, meaning Island of Mozambique, is located 200 km east of Nampula and is accessible by numerous minibuses.
The city of Nampula lies in the centre of the province of Nampula and is surrounded by plains and rocky outcrops. The city lies amongst rolling hills and mountains, typical of the interior of northern Mozambique.
|Climate data for Nampula|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.5
|Average low °C (°F)||21.5
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||227.6
|Average precipitation days||14.7||13.2||13.3||8.1||4.0||3.4||3.8||1.7||1.3||2.3||5.7||11.1||82.6|
|Source: World Meteorological Organization|
A Makhuwa family in Nampula
- "Mozambique: largest cities and towns and statistics of their population". World Gazetteer. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "ESCOLAS COM CURRÍCULO PORTUGUÊS EM MOÇAMBIQUE" (Archive). Direção de Serviços de Ensino e Escolas Portuguesas no Estrangeiro (DSEEPE) of the Portuguese Education Ministry. Retrieved on October 26, 2015.
- "World Weather Information Service–Nampula". World Meteorological Organization. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nampula.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Nampula.|