|Born||Nancy Maryanne Dow
July 22, 1936
|Died||May 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Other names||Nancy Aniston|
|Years active||1966–1969, 2004|
|Children||2, including Jennifer Aniston|
|Relatives||Justin Theroux (son-in-law)|
Nancy Maryanne Dow (July 22, 1936 – May 25, 2016) was an American actress and model who appeared in a brief group of films and television shows. She was married to Greek-American actor John Aniston with whom she had a daughter, actress Jennifer Aniston.
Dow was born in Connecticut, one of six daughters of Louise (née Grieco) and Gordon McLean Dow. Her maternal grandfather, Louis Grieco, was an Italian immigrant; her other ancestry includes English, Scottish, Irish, and Greek. Dow was also married to John T. "Jack" Melick, Jr., a pianist-bandleader currently based in Dallas, Texas, from 1956 to 1961. The couple had one son, John T. Melick III, an assistant director and second-unit director.
Dow and her daughter were estranged for nine years, partially because Dow wrote a book about their relationship, entitled From Mother and Daughter to Friends: A Memoir (1999). In 2005, after Aniston's divorce from Brad Pitt, she and her mother reportedly reconciled. Aniston described the gradual progress of her new relationship with her mother: "It's been really nice. It's crazy what, you know, your life kind of being turned upside down will lead you to. ... For us it's ... It was the time and it was going to happen when it was supposed to happen. So this is good. It's baby steps."
Health and death
In 2011 and 2012, Dow had a couple of strokes, which affected her ability to speak and walk. On the morning of May 23, 2016, she was taken by ambulance from her home in Toluca Lake, Los Angeles. She died two days later at 79 years old.
- The Beverly Hillbillies (1966) (TV series) – Athena
- The Wild Wild West (1967) (TV series) – Tersa
- The Ice House (1969) – Jan Wilson
- Pure (2004) – Lynne
- Person Details for Nancy Dow in Household of Gordon Dow, "United States Census, 1940"
- Jennifer Aniston's Mother Nancy Dow Dies at Age 79
- Aniston, Nancy (September 1, 1999). "Chapter 2: Switching Focus". From Mother and Daughter to Friends: A Memoir (1st ed.). Amherst, New York: Prometheus Books. p. 32. ISBN 1573927724. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
My maternal grandfather, Louis Grieco, was a hardworking Italian immigrant who came from Melitto, Italy, around the turn of the century.
- Stated on Inside the Actors Studio, can be viewed at http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/arFg6tAWzbY/
- Interview with John T. Melick, Jr, June 2011
- "Not even friends", fact.on.ca; accessed May 27, 2016.
- Jennifer Aniston finds peace after Brad, abcnews.go.com; accessed May 27, 2016.
- Jennifer Aniston's Mother Nancy Dow Has Died: She 'Passed Peacefully Surrounded by Family and Friends,' Says Actress, People.com; May 25, 2016.