Nancy Anne Fleming
May 20, 1942
|Alma mater||Michigan State University|
|Title||Miss America 1961|
|Predecessor||Lynda Lee Mead|
William Frederic Johnson
(m. 1963; div. 1973)
(m. 1978; died 2014)
Fleming graduated from Michigan State University in 1964 and earned a teaching certificate from the University of California, Berkeley in 1966. She is listed as one of Michigan State University's "Accomplished Women Graduates."  During her freshman year at MSU, she lived in West Landon Hall on the North Campus, a dormitory for women. Her time at the school was sometimes troubled. Later, she said, "I felt like a freak at MSU. I had just been on television three days before and I entered with a lot of fanfare. There was a lot of weirdness and rudeness. I was pointed out and stared at. It was really creepy."
Before entering show business, Fleming worked as an elementary school teacher.
She has two children from her previous marriage to William Frederic Johnson, Ingrid and Steig. She also has three stepchildren from her marriage to Lange; Nick, Romney, and Gavin.
- "People". TIME Magazine. September 26, 1960. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "Accomplished Women Graduates of MSU". MSU Archives. March 22, 2011.
- LeMieux, Dave (September 9, 2013). "Lookback: Montague's Miss America". Muskegon Chronicle. Booth Newspapers. Retrieved July 22, 2015 – via Mlive.com.
- "Our Former Miss Michigans". Miss Michigan Scholarship Program. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Champion, Brandon (June 20, 2015). "55 years after Miss America crown, Muskegon County native still taking risks". Muskegon Chronicle. Booth Newspapers. Retrieved July 22, 2015 – via Mlive.com.
- Tauber, Michelle; Neill, Mike; Russell, Lisa; Fowler, Joanne; Dam, Julie; Tresniowski, Alex; Miller, Samantha; Dougherty, Steve; Yu, Ting (October 16, 2000). "American Beauties: 80 Years". People.
|Awards and achievements|
Lynda Lee Mead
| Miss America
Ann Penelope Marston
| Miss Michigan
Donna Sheppard Kickert