Nancy Knowlton at World Oceans Day in 2015
|Fields||Coral reef biologist|
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego
|Alma mater||Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
|Notable awards||Leopold Leadership Fellow (1999); Benchley Award for Science (2009)|
|Spouse||Jeremy Jackson (m. 1983)|
Nancy Knowlton's birthdate is unknown. She graduated from Harvard University, and from the University of California, Berkeley, with a PhD. She was a professor at Yale University, then joined the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama.
She is an adjunct professor of marine biology at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. While at Scripps, Knowlton also founded the Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation. She was named an Aldo Leopold Leadership Fellow in 1999  and was elected to the Board of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in 2008. She also serves as one of three co-chairs for the coral reef Census of Marine Life.
- Knowlton, N. 2008. "Coral reefs". Current Biology 18: R18-R21.
- Knowlton, N. and J. B. C. Jackson. 2008. "Shifting baselines, local impacts, and global change on coral reefs". PLoS Biology 6: e54, 6 pp.
- Hoegh-Guldberg, O., P. J. Mumby, A. J. Hooten, R. S. Steneck, P. Greenfield, E. Gomez, C. D. Harvell, P. F. Sale, A. J. Edwards, K. Caldeira, N. Knowlton, C. M. Eakin, R. Iglesias-Prieto, N. Muthiga, R. H. Bradbury, A. Dubi, and M. E. Hatziolos. 2007. "Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification". Science 318: 1737-1742.
- Knowlton, N. 2004. "Multiple “stable” states and the conservation of marine ecosystems". Progress in Oceanography. 60: 387-396.
- Fukami, H., A. F. Budd, G. Paulay, A. Solé-Cava, C. A. Chen, K. Iwao, and N. Knowlton. 2004. "Conventional taxonomy obscures deep divergence between Pacific and Atlantic corals". Nature 427: 832-835.
- Rohwer, F., V. Seguritan, F. Azam, and N. Knowlton 2002. "High diversity and species-specific distribution of coral-associated bacteria". Marine Ecology Progress Series 243: 1-10.
- Knowlton, N. 2001. "The future of coral reefs." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:5419-5425.
- Williams, S. T. and N. Knowlton. 2001. "Mitochondrial pseudogenes are pervasive and often insidious in the snapping shrimp genus Alpheus". Molecular Biology and Evolution 18:1484-1493.
- Knowlton, N. 2000. "Molecular genetics analyses of species boundaries in the sea". Hydrobiologia 420:73-90.
- Herre, A., N. Knowlton, U. Mueller and S. Rehner. 1999. "The evolution of mutualisms: Exploring the paths between conflict and cooperation". Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:49-53.
- Nancy Knowlton's seminar: "Corals and Coral Reefs"
- Nancy Knowlton interviewed for Smithsonian Magazine
- Interview with Nancy Knowlton for E Magazine