|Nancy Jane Kopell|
November 8, 1942|
New York City
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Thesis||Commuting diffeomorphisms (1967)|
|Doctoral advisor||Stephen Smale|
|Known for||Mathematical neuroscience|
|Notable awards||Sloan Fellowship, Guggenheim Fellowship, MacArthur Fellowship|
Nancy Jane Kopell (born November 8, 1942 New York City) is an American mathematician, William Fairfield Warren Distinguished Professor at Boston University, Director of the Cognitive Rhythms Collaborative, and Co-Director of the Center for Computational Neuroscience and Neural Technology (CompNet).
Nancy Kopell grew up in the Bronx. She graduated from Cornell University with an A.B., and from the University of California, Berkeley, with an M.A. and a Ph.D. Her research interest is the dynamics of the nervous system: how does the brain produce its dynamics (physiological mechanisms), how do brain rhythms take part in cognition (sensory processing, attention, memory, motor control), and how can pathologies of brain dynamics help to understand symptoms of neurological diseases (Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, epilepsy) as well as alternate states of consciousness (anesthesia).
Awards and Memberships
- 1975 Sloan Fellowship
- 1984 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 1990 MacArthur Fellowship
- 1996 National Academy of Sciences
- 1996 American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1999 Josiah Willard Gibbs Lecture (American Mathematical Society)
- 2006 Weldon Memorial Prize (Oxford)
- 2007 John von Neumann Lecture (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics)
- 2011 Honorary Member of the London Mathematical Society
- 2015 Israel Brain Technologies Mathematical Neuroscience Prize
- Kopell, N; Howard, L N (1973). "Plane-wave solutions to reaction-diffusion equations". Studies in Applied Mathematics 52 (4): 291–328.
- Ermentrout, George Bard; Kopell, Nancy (March 1984). "Frequency Plateaus in a Chain of Weakly Coupled Oscillators, I.". SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis 15 (2): 215–237. doi:10.1137/0515019.
- Kopell, N.; Ermentrout, G. B. (September 1986). "Symmetry and phaselocking in chains of weakly coupled oscillators". Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics 39 (5): 623–660. doi:10.1002/cpa.3160390504.
- Kopell, N.; Ermentrout, G. B.; Whittington, M. A.; Traub, R. D. (15 February 2000). "Gamma rhythms and beta rhythms have different synchronization properties". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 97 (4): 1867–1872. doi:10.1073/pnas.97.4.1867.
- Kopell, N; Ermentrout, B (Oct 2004). "Chemical and electrical synapses perform complementary roles in the synchronization of interneuronal networks". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101 (43): 15482–15487. doi:10.1073/pnas.040643101.
- Morrow, edited by Charlene; Perl, Teri (1998). Notable women in mathematics : a biographical dictionary. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. pp. 98–101. ISBN 978-0313291319.
- "Nancy Kopell". Biographies of Women Mathematicians. Agnes Scott College. 12 October 2015.
- Rolbein, Seth (25 June 2009). "Two More Warren Distinguished Professors Announced". BU Today. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nancy Kopell". Mathematics Department. Boston University. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "People: Faculty". Cognitive Rhythms Collaborative. Boston University. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Trottier, Leo (21 October 2011). "Dr. Nancy Kopell". Scholarpedia. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Kivelson, Pamela Davis. "Nancy Kopell". ThePosterProject: Biographies. Stony Brook University Mathematics Department and Institute for Mathematical Sciences. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nancy Kopell". Profiles of Women in Mathematics: The Emmy Noether Lectures. Association for Women in Mathematics. 1992. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nancy Kopell". Fellows. John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nancy Kopell". MacArthur Fellows / Meet the Class of 1990. MacArthur Foundation. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nancy Kopell". Member Directory. National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Professor Nancy Jane Kopell". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Josiah Willard Gibbs Lectures". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Weldon Memorial Prize: Past Prize-winners" (pdf). Oxford University Statistics. Oxford University. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "The John von Neumann Lecture". Prizes and recognitions. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "London Mathematical Society Honorary Members" (PDF). Membership. London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Rimer, Sara (10 April 2015). "Kopell Wins Israeli Nonprofit’s Mathematical Neuroscience Prize". BU Today (Boston University). Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Ermentrout, G. Bard; Terman, David H. (2010). Mathematical foundations of neuroscience. New York: Springer. ISBN 9780387877075.
- Kopell, Nancy (2005). "Biased Random Walk: A Brief Mathematical Biography". In Case, Bettye Anne; Leggett, Anne. Complexities: Women in Mathematics. Princeton University Press. pp. 349–354. ISBN 9780691114620.
- "Interview with Nancy Kopell". Trends in Neurosciences 36 (6): 313–314. June 2013. doi:10.1016/j.tins.2013.03.005.
- Nancy Kopell's home page at BU
- Nancy Kopell's Publications
- Cognitive Rhythms Collaborative
- Neural Dynamics Group (NaK): Kopell lab page at BU