|Member of the South Carolina House of Representatives|
from the 99 district
Assumed office |
January 23rd, 2018
|Preceded by||James Merrill|
December 4, 1977|
Fort Bragg, North Carolina,
|Alma mater||The Citadel|
Nancy Ruth Mace (born December 4, 1977 in Fort Bragg, North Carolina) is an American businesswoman, politician, and the author of In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel, first published by Simon & Schuster in 2001.
Nancy Mace is a South Carolina State Representative for District 99 covering Hanahan, northeast Mount Pleasant, and Daniel Island, SC. In the private sector, Mace also practices commercial and residential real estate.
Early life, education, and career
Mace was born at Fort Bragg, North Carolina to Army Officer Emory Mace and school teacher Anne Mace, Ph.D.; entering The Citadel with the first group of 4 female cadets in 1996 she became the first woman to graduate from the Corps of Cadets of the historic military college in 1999, receiving a degree in Business Administration with magna cum laude honors; during her time as a cadet her father BG Emory Mace '63 was serving as Commandant of Cadets. While she was the first female cadet to receive a Bachelors Degree, women were enrolled and had received Masters Degrees from The Citadel Graduate College since the 1970s. Nancy also graduated from the University of Georgia where she earned a master’s degree in journalism and mass communication from the University of Georgia’s School of Journalism, focusing on public relations.
In 2008, Mace started a small consulting business: The Mace Group. The Mace Group provides public relations, marketing and web services to clients in a variety of industries. Some recent political clients have included Senator Tim Scott, Congressman Mick Mulvaney and South Carolina State Senator Tom Davis.
She is Vice Chair of The Citadel School of Business Advisory Board, on the National Board of Directors for the Medal of Honor Bowl, a board member of The Citadel Regimental Band and Pipes Association; past board member of Childspring International; past president of the Greater Atlanta Citadel Alumni Club; a past district director for The Citadel Alumni Association; past panelist on the 12th Annual Conference of Women in Higher Education; and participant in the Corbin Council conference on Assimilation of Women at Military Colleges. In August 2014, Mace participated in the Cold Water Challenge in order to raise awareness of the charity Autism Speaks. In 2014, she received the "Young Alumnus Award" from the Citadel Alumni Association and in 2017 she received the "Mary Dean Brewer Woman of Distinction" award from the Eastern Carolina Girl Scouts.
Mace is the author of In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel. She chronicles her upbringing as the daughter of a Citadel graduate and retired Army General, as well as her experience as a female cadet attending the historically all-male military college.
2014 United States Senate Campaign
On August 3, 2013, Mace announced that she would seek the GOP nomination for the United States Senate in South Carolina for the 2014 election. Mace won 6.2 percent of the vote with 19,560 votes cast in her name in the Republican Primary.
2017 State House Campaign
On September 18th, 2017, Mace announced and filed as a Republican to run in a special election for the South Carolina State House District 99 seat being vacated by Jimmy Merrill, who resigned earlier that month following an indictment and plea deal for several ethics violations. She received 49.5% of the votes in the November 14th Republican primary, 13 votes short of winning the nomination outright. She defeated the second place challenger, Mount Pleasant town councilman Mark Smith on November 28th in a runoff, 63-37%.
Mace defeated Democrat Cindy Boatright in the January 16, 2018 General Election by a margin of 2066 to 1587 votes or 57-43%.
Mace was sworn in as a member of the General Assembly on January 23rd, 2018 by Speaker Jay Lucas.
- Mace, Nancy. "Keller Williams Charleston Commercial Real Estate". nancymace.kw.com. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- Mace, Nancy. "Nancy Mace Keller Williams Realty Charleston - Mt. Pleasant". nancymaceresidential.kw.com. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Nancy Mace US Senate, Biography". August 3, 2013.
- "The Mace Group, Nancy Mace Biography". August 3, 2013.
- "Citadel Advisory Board". 5 January 2016.
- "National Board of Directors for the Medal of Honor Bowl". 5 January 2016.
- "Nancy Mace For US Senate, Biography". August 3, 2013.
- "Nancy Mace Will Seek Nomination for US Senate". August 3, 2013.
- "In South Carolina, Graham Prevails Without a Runoff". New York Times. New York Times Company. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Republican Nancy Mace wins Statehouse District 99 election". WCBD News 2. 2018-01-16. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- Nancy Mace for US Senate Official Campaign Site
- Nancy Mace Real Estate ‘’Nancy Mace Business Website’’
- Nancy Mace Announces Bid For SC State House ‘’Nancy Mace Official Announcement For SC State House Race’’
Mace, Nancy (2002). In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel. New York: Simon Pulse.