|Occupation||Theater director, film director|
Life and career
Nancy Meckler was born and educated in the US, where she obtained a Masters Degree in Performance Theory and Criticism from NYU. She moved to London in 1968 where she became a founder member of Freehold Theatre Company (1968–72) which toured the UK with Antigone in a version by Peter Hulton and the company. In 1970, Antigone was sent by the British Council to represent the UK at BITEF and the Venice Biennale.
Freehold Theatre Company won the John Whiting Award for New Writing in 1970.
As a Freelance Director 1972 - 2000
- Eight Sam Shepard plays (including world premieres of Killers Head, Action, Curse of the Starving Class, and A Particle of Dread: Oedipus Variations)
- Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekov - Hampstead Theatre, 1979.
- Dusa, Fish, Stas and Vi by Pam Gems – Hampstead Theatre and West End, 1976.
- Sufficient Carbohydrate by Dennis Potter - Hampstead Theatre and West End, 1984.
- Low Level Panic by Clare McIntyre - Royal Court Theatre Upstairs and Lyric Hammersmith, 1988.
- St Joan by George Bernard Shaw - Cambridge Theatre Company tour.
- Rose by Martin Sherman - National Theatre and Broadway (Lincoln Centre, 2000).
- The Bacchae - Edinburgh Festival, UK tour, 1988.
- Abingdon Square by Maria Irene Fornes - Soho Poly (1989), National Theatre (1990).
- The Birthday Party by Harold Pinter - UK tour, 1990.
- Anna Karenina adapted by Helen Edmundson - UK tour and World tour, 1992.
- Mill on the Floss adapted by Helen Edmundson (co-director Polly Teale) - UK tour and World Tour, 2001.
- War and Peace adapted by Helen Edmundson (co-director Polly Teale) - UK tour, National Theatre, 2008.
- A Passage to India adapted by Martin Sherman - UK tour, BAM Next Wave Festival, New York, 2004.
- Bronte by Polly Teale - Watermill, UK tour, Tricycle Theatre.
As a Freelance Director 2011 - Present
With the Royal Shakespeare Company
- House of Desires
- Romeo and Juliet
- The Comedy of Errors
- All's Well that Ends Well
- The Heresy of Love by Helen Edmundson
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- King Lear - Shakespeare’s Globe 2017.
Meckler was the director and creator of A Streetcar Named Desire for Scottish Ballet.
- The Mill on the Floss
- Helen Hayes Award, Outstanding Visiting Production, 2001 (Kennedy Centre)
- Anna Karenina
- Best Touring Show TMA/Martini, 1993
- Outstanding Theatrical Event, Time Out awards, 1992
- Best Foreign Theatre Company, Diario Clarin Buenos Aires, 1992
- Sister My Sister
- Best Feature, Turin Film Festival, 1995
- Public Prize; Best New Director; Youth Prize : Valladolid Film Festival, 1994
- Alive and Kicking
- Opening Film, Locarno Film Festival, 1996
- Most Popular Film, Hamptons Film Festival, 1996
- Audience Award Best Film, London Film Festival, 1997
- Grand Prix, Luchon Film Festival, 1999
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- Best Dance Production, Southbank Awards, 2012
- Best Dance Production Nominee, Olivier Awards, 2012
- "Shared Experience". Shared Experience Company. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Meckler, Nancy". Contemporary British-Jewish Theatre. 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "The English unbuttoned". The Independent. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "CalmView: Overview". catalogue.nationaltheatre.org.uk. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "King Lear review – poverty-stricken Shakespeare puts spotlight on homeless". the Guardian. 2017-08-17. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of Uncle Vanya | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of Dusa, Fish, Stas and Vi | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of Sufficient Carbohydrate | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Nick Hern Books | My Heart's a Suitcase & Low Level Panic : By Clare McIntyre". Nick Hern Books. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- Theater, Lincoln Center. "Rose". Lincoln Center Theater. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of The Bacchae | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of Abingdon Square | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of The Birthday Party | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Production of Anna Karenina | Theatricalia". theatricalia.com. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Theatre review: Mill on the Floss". the Guardian. 2001-04-05. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Shared Experience | Productions | War and Peace". www.sharedexperience.org.uk. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Theatre review: A Passage to India at Shared Experience at Nottingham Playhouse and Touring". British Theatre Guide. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- Darren, Alison (2000). Lesbian Film Guide. Cassell. pp. 198-199. ISBN 030433376X.
- Staff (September 9, 1996). "Indian Summer". Variety. Retrieved 19 August 2019.