|Nancy Louise Moritz|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit|
July 29, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Deanell Reece Tacha|
|Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court|
January 7, 2011 – July 29, 2014
|Appointed by||Mark Parkinson|
|Preceded by||Robert E. Davis|
|Succeeded by||Caleb Stegall|
March 3, 1960 |
|Education||Washburn University (B.B.A.)
Washburn Law School (J.D.)
Nancy Louise Moritz (born March 3, 1960) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and former justice on the Kansas Supreme Court.
Moritz (formerly Caplinger) was born in Beloit, Kansas. She grew up in Tipton, Kansas, before her family moved to Salina, Kansas, when Moritz was 15 years old. She graduated valedictorian of her class from Sacred Heart High School in Salina. She received her Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Washburn University in 1982 and her Juris Doctor from Washburn Law School in 1985. She has two daughters.
Moritz began her legal career in 1985 as a research attorney for Justice Harold S. Herd of the Kansas Supreme Court. In 1987, she became a law clerk to Judge Patrick F. Kelly with the United States District Court in Wichita. From 1989 to 1995, she was an associate with the law firm Spencer, Fane, Britt and Browne. She then became an Assistant United States Attorney in Kansas City until 1999, when she became an Appellate Coordinator for the United States Attorney's office. She held this position until her appointment to the Court of Appeals in 2004. Governor Mark Parkinson appointed her to the Kansas Supreme Court in November 2010, and she was sworn in on January 7, 2011, replacing former Chief Justice Robert E. Davis, serving until July 29, 2014.
Federal judicial service
In August 2013, President Barack Obama tapped Moritz for a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. On April 29, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on Moritz's nomination On Thursday May 1, 2014, the Senate voted 60-38 for cloture on the nomination. On Monday, May 5, 2014, the Senate voted 90-3 in favor of final confirmation. She received her commission on July 29, 2014.
- "Nancy L. Moritz". Alliance for Justice. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- "Kansas Judicial Branch - Supreme Court - Hon. Nancy Moritz".
- "Kansas Supreme Court Justice Nancy Moritz Caplinger to be sworn in Friday". LJWorld.com (by Associated Press). January 4, 2011. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Parkinson names Judge Nancy Moritz Caplinger to Kansas Supreme Court". LJWorld.com (by Associated Press). November 1, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Law professor: Moritz gliding toward confirmation". cjonline.com (by Andy Marso). November 14, 2013. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 130. United States Senate. 5 May 2014.
- "Moritz, Nancy Louise - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
Robert E. Davis
|Associate Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court
Deanell Reece Tacha
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit