Nand Kishore Chaudhary
|Nand Kishore Chaudhary|
|Born||13 June 1953|
Churu, Rajasthan, India
|Occupation||Chairman and Managing Director of Jaipur Rugs|
Nand Kishore Chaudhary (born 13 June 1953) is an Indian social entrepreneur. He currently serves as the Chairman and Managing Director of the social enterprise Jaipur Rugs, which he founded in 1978.
Nand Kishore Chaudhary was born in a Marwari family in the Churu district of Rajasthan. He was not interested in following his father in the traditional family business of shoe-making. Instead, he was fascinated by the carpet business, and started weaving with two looms in the year 1978.
Chaudhary established the social business model of Jaipur Rugs, connecting poor weavers with global markets by building a global supply chain focused on developing human capability and skills at the grassroots level, providing steady income for rural men and women in the most depressed parts of India and connecting them with markets in the United States.
In 1978, he initiated his carpet business operations with just two looms and 9 artisans. Now, it has converted into a network of more than 40,000 artisans across 6 states in India and today, is known as India's leading manufacturer and exporter of hand knotted rugs, bringing in about $18 million annual revenue.
N. K. Chaudhary is married to Sulochana. They have five children, Asha, Archana, Kavita, Yogesh and Nitesh, all of whom are involved in Jaipur Rugs.
Honours and awards
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2010 for the best Start-Up. NKC received the only global business award of Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year-Start Up 2010. This award commemorates and encourages the most resilient of Indian entrepreneurs. NKC's innovative thinking and entrepreneurial success became synonymous of his victory.
- Distinguished Entrepreneur Award in the year 2010 by PHD Chamber of Commerce. In order to bestow recognition to Indian businesses and Entrepreneurs for Outstanding achievements, NKC received "Distinguished Entrepreneurship Award" where the theme of the annual session was "Inclusive Growth thru Skill Development – Vision 2017"
- Game Changer Award by The HR Club on 7 February 2015
- India Pride Award 2011 - Social Change Agents prize at the inaugural ceremony of the India Pride Awards 2011, for giving employment to more than 40,000 carpet artisans in 10 states in India and being a Change Agent in the field of Social Development and Equity.
- Karmaveer Puraskaar 2012 - The KARMAVEER PURASKAAR AWARD bestowed upon our founder member as Real Wealth Creator for the communities KVP, 2012.
- "A Small Investment Of Rs.5000 Leading To An Annual Turnover Of 122 Crore, The Story Of Jaipur Rugs". IndianWeb2.com. 2014-12-03. Retrieved 2016-12-10.