|Directed by||R. V. Udayakumar|
|Produced by||T. Siva|
|Written by||Gokula Krishnan (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||R. V. Udayakumar|
|Story by||Sujatha Udayakumar|
|Edited by||B. S. Nagaraj|
Nandhavana Theru (English: Chariot of Nandavanam) is a 1995 Tamil drama film, directed by R. V. Udayakumar. The film features Karthik and newcomer Srinidhi in lead roles. The film, produced by T. Siva and A. Selvaraj, had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 11 May 1995. The film did not do well at the box office.
Seenu (Karthik) is an orphan and a full-time thief. He helps prisoners by solving their problems outside the prison. One day, he is intrigued by a prisoner's silence. Seenu asks him about his problem. The prisoner is Adhiseshan (Devan), the maternal uncle of Gayatri (Srinidhi) a singer. He is a very rich man. He has been wrongfully convicted and sent to prison by Gayatri's paternal uncle Rajashekaran (Anandaraj) and his son Gunashekaran. The duo have also managed poison Gayatri's mind against Adisheshan.
Adisheshan believes that Gayatri's life is great danger from the duo and requests Seenu to make her see the truth and save her. Seenu promises him that he will solve his problem. Initially, Gayatri avoids Seenu but she soon understands the true nature of Rajasekhar and she becomes Seenu's friend.
Adhiseshan then realises that Seenu is his son (soon after looking at a photo of Seenu's mother). Seenu is thrilled about this as well and brings Gayatri to Adhiseshan's house to help them reunite. To their shock they find Adhiseshan dead.
It is then revealed that Rajashekaran and Gunashekaran have borrowed a lot of money and defaulted. They are sent to jail for this. This also means that Gayathri has to leave her house. Seenu happily accommodates her in his house.
Seenu then decides to mend his ways, give up thievery and earn money in the right way to help Gayatri realize her dream: to become a Carnatic music singer.
He succeeds and she becomes a famous singer. She builds is also able to buy herself a new house. She then reveals to Seenu that she's in love with Suresh (Siva), a fan of hers.
Suresh's father is not happy about his son intending to marrying Gayatri. He helps Rajasekhar get out of prison and gets him try and separate the couple before their marriage. Seenu manages to save them and the couple elope.
In the end, Seenu marries a widow in order to keep a promise to his neighbour (Manorama). Seenu takes care of the widow and her son.
- Karthik as Seenu (Srinivasan)
- Srinidhi as Gayatri
- Anandaraj as Rajasekhar
- Devan as Adhiseshan
- Janagaraj as Albert
- Vivek as Beedi
- Vadivelu as Theekuchi
- Manorama as Seenu's neighbour
- Gayathri as Seenu's neighbour
- Siva as Suresh (Guest appearance)
- Madhan Bob as a music instrument seller (Guest appearance)
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||"Adichu Pudichu"||Arunmozhi, Mano, S. N. Surendar||4:51|
|2||"Anniya Kaattu Annaney"||Mano, Swarnalatha||4:53|
|3||"Enna Varam Vendum"||Mano, Lekha, Sindhu Devi||5:29|
|6||"Unn Munnai Naanum Paada Vantha"||Arunmozhi||1:05|
|7||"Velli Nilave"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Uma Ramanan||5:10|
|8||"Viralil Suthi Meettavaa"||K. S. Chitra||3:34|
- "Find Tamil Movie Nandavana Theru". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 3 March 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Nandhavana Theru". popcorn.oneindia.in. Archived from the original on 14 July 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "filmography of nandhavana theru". cinesouth.com. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Tamil Movie News--1995 Review". groups.google.com. 9 January 1996. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Nanthavana Theru — Illayaraja". thiraipaadal.com. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Vijiyan, K. (3 June 1995). "Story flounders in the middle". New Straits Times. p. 14.