Nando (footballer, born May 1967)
|Full name||Fernando Martínez Perales|
|Date of birth||21 May 1967|
|Place of birth||Valencia, Spain|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Born in Valencia, Nando began his career with local Levante UD, but moved across town to La Liga's Valencia CF after helping the team to promotion from the fourth division in 1987. An offensive-minded fullback who started his career as a midfielder, he spent five seasons at Valencia but he started less frequently in his final two years, following the Che's signing of Brazilian Leonardo.
Nando joined Deportivo de La Coruña on a free transfer in the summer of 1992, which also saw Adolfo Aldana, Bebeto and Mauro Silva arrive at the Riazor Stadium. During his spell, the Galician club began its rise to Super Depor fame, winning its first two trophies – the domestic cup and the supercup, both in 1995 – which were the player's first and only honours.
Following the arrival of John Toshack as Deportivo manager in 1995, Nando once again found himself increasingly on the sidelines. Although he regained first-choice status for the 1996–97 season he lost his place to Frenchman Jérôme Bonnissel in the following, and left for second level side Sevilla FC in January 1998 after five-and-a-half years and more than 200 official appearances.
Nando helped the Andalusia team promote to the top flight in his first full season, but suffered immediate relegation back in a campaign in which he played in 30 league games, and met the same fate in the following year with division two club SD Compostela, after which he retired from professional football aged 34, going on to play at amateur level with Atlético Arteixo.
Nando made his debut for Spain on 14 September 1988 in a 1–2 friendly loss to Yugoslavia, in Oviedo. His second – and final – appearance came four-and-a-half years later in a 1–1 draw with Mexico, another exhibition game which was played in Las Palmas.
- "1987: el Levante dice 'hasta nunca' a la Tercera" [1987: Levante says 'see you never' to Tercera]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 18 March 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Nando". Deportivo La Coruña. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Supertítulo" [Supertitle]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 28 June 1995. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "1–2: Adiós a la "flor"..." [1–2: Farewell to the "flower"...]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 15 September 1988. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Más joven, pero igual de gris" [Younger, but just as grey]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 28 January 1993. Retrieved 9 June 2017.