Nando de Freitas
Nando de Freitas
|Alma mater||University of the Witwatersrand, Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Machine Learning|
|Awards||Distinguished Paper Award at the International Joint Conference on Artificial intelligence (2013), Charles A. McDowell Award for Excellence in Research (2012), Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems Young Researcher Award (2010)|
|Institutions||University of British Columbia, Oxford University|
|Doctoral advisor||Andrew Gee, Mahesan Niranjan, Christophe Andrieu, and Arnaud Doucet|
Nando de Freitas is noted as an authority in the field of machine learning, and in particular in the subfields of neural networks, Bayesian inference and Bayesian optimization, and deep learning.
De Freitas was born in Zimbabwe. He did his undergraduate studies and MSc at the University of the Witwatersrand, and his PhD at Trinity College, Cambridge. From 2001, he was a Professor at the University of British Columbia, before joining the Department of Computer Science at the University of Oxford from 2013 to 2017. He now works for Google's DeepMind.
Awards and recognition
De Freitas has been recognised for his contributions to machine learning through the following awards:
- Best Paper Award at the International Conference on Machine Learning (2016)
- Best Paper Award at the International Conference on Learning Representations (2016)
- Google Faculty Research Award (2014)
- Distinguished Paper Award at the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2013)
- Charles A. McDowell Award for Excellence in Research (2012)
- Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems Young Researcher Award (2010)
- "Nando de Freitas - Google Scholar Citations". Scholar.google.com. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- about 3 years ago (19 December 2013). "audioBoom / 'Deep learning' enabling computers to understand humans". Audioboo.fm. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Katherine Gorman and Ryan Adams. "Solving Intelligence and Machine Learning Fundamentals". www.thetalkingmachines.com (Podcast). Talking Machines. Event occurs at 11:30.
- "Nando de Freitas receives Google Faculty Research Award for his work on deep learning". Cs.ox.ac.uk. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "IJCAI 2013 Distinguished Papers | IJCAI 2013". Ijcai13.org. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Charles McDowell Award | Computer Science at UBC". Cs.ubc.ca. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Faculty Research Award Recipients | Office of the Vice President Research & International". 1 July 2013. Archived from the original on 1 July 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "NYU Computer Science Department". Cs.nyu.edu. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Nando De Freitas : CIFAR". Cifar.ca. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|