|Directed by||J. Mahendran|
|Produced by||S. Dakshinamoorthy|
|Screenplay by||J. Mahendran|
|Edited by||A. Paul Duraisingh|
|17 April 1981|
Nandu (transl. Crab) is a 1981 Tamil-language film written and directed by J. Mahendran. The film's score and soundtrack are composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The film is based on the 1975 novel of the same name by Sivasankari.
Ram Kumar Sharma is a sickly person living in Lucknow in a large family. He suffers from asthma and does not like the behavior of his autocratic father, but is deeply attached to his loving mother. Unable to get along with his father who compels him to marry a girl of his choice, the protagonist leaves for Chennai. He finds a job there and meets Seetha (Ashwini). Once settled, he goes around looking for a house with the help of house broker - Kumari Muthu. Incidentally, he finds Seetha residing as a tenant in a portion under the very same house. He likes the portion and agrees to start living there.
The lives of the girls who live in portions of the large house are brightened by the appearance of the engineer from Lucknow. Of them, two of them try to impress Sharma. One of them is the house owner's daughter, while the other is Seetha. Eventually, he ends up marrying Seetha.
Nandu - The significance of the title "Nandu" is not known until the climax of the story. Nandu means crab in Tamil. The protagonist plays an asthma patient in the movie.
- Suresh as Ramkumar Sharma (voice dubbed by Sarath Babu)
- Aswini as Seetha
- Venniradai Moorthy as Singa Muth
- Vanitha Krishnachandran as Uma
- Kutty Padmini as Lakshmi
- Samikkannu as Arunachalam
- S. N. Parvathy as Uma's mother
- Kumarimuthu as House broker
|1||"Paaduthamma Kaatril Alaikal"||Bhupinder Singh|
|2||"Alli thantha Bhoomi"||Malaysia Vasudevan|
|3||"Kaise Kahoon Kuch Kahna Sakoon"||Bhupinder Singh, S. Janaki||P. B. Sreenivas|
|4||"Manjal Veyil Maalai Itta Poove"||Uma Ramanan|
|5||"Hum Hai Akele"||S. Janaki|
- Nandu, Oosai, archived from the original on 28 October 2008, retrieved 29 October 2008
- Mahendran, J. (2013) . Cinemavum Naanum [Cinema and Me] (in Tamil). Karpagam Publications. p. 344.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "NANDU – Film / Movie". www.citwf.com.
- "Ace Tamil film director Mahendran, who helmed iconic Rajini movies, dies". The Federal. 2 April 2019. Retrieved 11 December 2019.