Nandy on stage at the Fiesta Concert in Dodoma, Tanzania, 2017
|Birth name||Faustina Charles Mfinanga|
|Born||November 9, 1992 (age 26)|
Mawenzi, Moshi, Tanzania
Nandy was born in Moshi, Tanzania to Mary Charles, a tailor and Charles Mfinanga, a mechanic. The name Nandy is shortened from her real name Nandera. She started performing at a very tender age. At 5 years of age, she was an active member of her Sunday school choir at KKKT Lutheran church in Moshi. She attended Mawenzi Primary School and later joined Lomwe High School where she became the head of School choir. After high school, she joined College of Business Education (CBE), Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Tanzania House of Talent
Her career in music kicked off when a common friend introduced her to Ruge Mutahaba, CEO of Tanzania House of Talent (THT). This is where she met Ema the Boy, who produced her first mainstream single, Nagusagusa.The song became a huge hit within a week of its release.
In early 2016 she participated in a singing competition Tecno own the stage. The contest featured contestants from all over Africa and during the finals in Lagos, Nigeria, Nandy emerged as the first runner-up. The competition groomed her well music wise, as she gained performance confidence, and also acquired essential knowledge of the music industry from the musical tutors and mentors such as chocolate City’s M.I Abaga, Yemi Alade and Bien of Sauti Sol.
In 2017 she released her hit single One Day which spear headed her career and gave her a couple of opportunities as she was one of the few artist who participated in Coke Studio Africa in 2017 and later the same year she was nominated in the All Africa Music Awards as best female eastern Africa and won.
She is currently Tanzania’s Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF’s water, sanitation and hygiene programme (WASH) that works in over 100 countries worldwide to improve water and sanitation services, as well as basic hygiene practices. The programme focuses on providing people with clean water and basic toilets.
In April 2018, Nandy and Diamond Platnumz were arrested by the Tanzanian government for sharing ratchet content online which breaches the law and culture of Tanzania. The case would later be dropped.
- I'm Confident (2013)
- Nagusa gusa (2017)
- One Day (2017)
- Wasikudanye (2017)
- Kivuruge (2017)
- Ninogeshe (2018)
- Aibu (2018)
Awards and nominations
|2017||All Africa Music Awards||Best Female Artist East Africa||Nandy||Won|
|2018||AMI Awards Afrika||Best Female Newcomer||Nandy||Pending|
- "AFRIMA 2017: Full list of winners". Music In Africa. 2017-11-13. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- Azaniapost. "Bongo Flava: Ali Kiba, Nandy win awards at AFRIMA in Nigeria". Azaniapost (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- "29-year-old wins $25K, recording deal". pulse.ng. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Tanzania: Heartbreak for Tanzania's Nandy in Lagos". allafrica.com. Retrieved 4 May 2018. (Subscription required (help)).
- "MEET THE AFRICAN PRINCESS". coca-cola.co.ke. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Nandy: Mane Fitsum (Cover) - Coke Studio Africa". coca-colacompany.com. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Aslay – Subalkheri Mpenzi Ft Nandy". celebvibestar.co.ke. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Coke Studio Africa 2017 Officially Launches In Ethiopia". ethiosports.com. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Nandy and AliKiba shine at Afrima". thecitizen.co.tz. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Nandy atamani kuwa kama Beyonce". mwananchi.co.tz (in Swahili). Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Popular Tanzanian singer arrested in latest internet crackdown". timeslive.co.za. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Nandy – One Day". notjustok.com. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "New Music: Nandy – Kivuruge". uplandradiofm.com (in Swahili). Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Nandy – Ninogeshe". tooxclusive.com.ng. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "AMI Awards Afrika 2018 full nominee list". whatshappeningmagazineug.com. Retrieved 4 May 2018.