31 December 1947
Veera Narayanamangalam in Kanyakumari District
|Pen name||Nanjil Nadan|
|Notable awards||Sahitya Akademi Award|
Nanjil Nadan was born in Veera Narayanamangalam in Kanyakumari District to Ganapathiya Pillai and Saraswathi Ammal. Born as G. Subramaniam, he uses the pseudonym Nanjil Nadan (means a native of the Nanjil Nadu – the area comprising the taluks of Agastheeswaram and Thovalai in Kanyakumari district ). He has a M.Sc degree in Mathematics. He currently works at W. H. Brady and Co in Coimbatore. He began his literary career by working in Bombay Tamil Sangam's literary magazine Aedu. His first short story Viradham was published in July 1975 in the magazine Deepam run by Na. Parthasarathy. In 2002, his novel Thalaikeezh Vigithangal was made into a Tamil film titled Solla Marandha Kadhai by Thangar Bachan. In 2010 he was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award for Tamil for his short story collection Soodiya poo soodarka. Currently his novel Ettu Thikkum Madha Yaanai is being made into a Tamil film titled Padithurai. He has authored a total of six novels, 112 short stories,2 short story anthologies, 5 essay collections and 2 poetry collections. Some of his works have been translated to English, Malayalam and French. Also some of them are part of the curriculum in several educational institutions.
Awards and recognitions
- Tamil Literary Garden has announced that Nanjil Nadan has won the Iyal Award, their Lifetime Achievement Award for 2012. He will receive the award formally in June 2013
- 2010 Sahitya Akademi Award (for Soodiya poo soodarka)
- Received the Non-Fiction award from The Tamil Literary Garden, Canada for the book 'Nathiyin Pizhaiyandru Narumpunal Inmai'
- Ilakkiya Sinthanai Award (for Viradham)
- Govt of Tamil Nadu literary award for best novel (for Sathuranga Kudhirai)
- Kasthuri Seenivasan Trust Award
- Thirupur Tamil Sangam award
- Kannadasan Award
- Lily Devasigamani Award
- Thalaikeezh vigithangal
- Enbiladanai veyilkayum
- Ettuthikkum madhayaanai
- Sadhuranga Kuthirai
- Deivangal adugal onaigal(தெய்வங்கள் ஓநாய்கள் ஆடுகள்)
- Vakkuporukkigal(வாக்குப் பொறுக்கிகள்)
- Khan Sahib
- Soodiya poo sodarka
- Kongu Ther Vazhkkai
- Val Virunthu (Kumbamuni Sirukathaigal)
- Pachai Nayagi
- Nanjil Nattu Vellalar Vazhkai
- Theedhum Nandrum
- Nachendrum Amudhendrum Ondru
- kaavaan Kavalan Yenil
- Panuval Potradhum
- Nathiyin Pizhayandru Narumpunal Inmai
- Eppadi Paaduveno ?
- Ahan Surukel (Selected Articles)
- Kai Mann Alavu (Kunkumam Weekly Articles)
- "நாஞ்சில் நாடனுக்கு சாகித்ய அகாதெமி விருது". Dina Mani. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- Dutt, Karthik Chandra (1999). Who's who of Indian Writers, 1999: A-M. Sahitya Akademi. p. 848. ISBN 978-81-260-0873-5.
- Nanjil Nadan, '`Nanjil Nattu Vellalar Vazhkai'`(Tamil) – Ethnography of Vellalars of Nanjilnadu, Kalachuvadu Publication, Nagercoil, 2003, ISBN 81-87477-55-5, Page:21
- Kannadasan, Akila (24 December 2010). "The writerly life". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- RAO., SUBHA J (21 July 2003). "A study in contrast". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "எழுத்தாளர் நாஞ்சில்நாடனுக்கு சாகித்ய அகாடமி விருது". Dinamalar (in Tamil). 20 December 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Arya's 'Padithurai'". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- Kolappan, B (21 December 2010). "Sahitya Akademi award for Nanjil Nadan". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- "நாஞ்சில் நாடனுக்கு இயல் விருது". The Tamil Literary Garden. Retrieved 19 December 2012.