Nanjing Normal University
Sanjiang Normal College,
National Nanjing Higher Normal School,
The Fourth National Sun Yat-sen University,
College of Education, National Central University,
Teacher's College, Nanjing University,Nanjing Normal College (1952-1984)
|Established||Originated in 1902 and established as an independent school in 1952|
|5216 (Adult education)|
Nanjing, Jiangsu, China|
Nanjing Normal University (NNU; Chinese: 南京师范大学; pinyin: Nánjīng Shīfàn Dàxué) is a normal university in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, China. Located in the ancient capital of six dynasties in Chinese history, Nanjing Normal University is one of the national key universities of "Project 211" under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and Jiangsu Provincial Government. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, with Double First Class status in certain disciplines. The International Research And Training Centre For Rural Education is affiliated with the university's Education Faculty.
The origin of Nanjing Normal University can be traced back to 1902 with the establishment of Sanjiang Normal College as one of the cradles of China's higher normal schools. Today, it has developed into a comprehensive university that is well known for its educational and scientific research, and is ranked as one of the top 50 universities in China by several mainstream institutions. It has 6 national key disciplines, 3 national key cultivated disciplines, 10 provincial priority disciplines, and 5 provincial first-level and national key cultivated disciplines.
At present, NNU owns three campuses, Xianlin, Suiyuan, and Zijin, among which Suiyuan Campus is renowned as "the most beautiful campus of the Orient". It has 7 programs that are ranked top 10 in China according to the China Discipline Ranking by the Ministry of Education, including pedagogy, geography, psychology, journalism and communication, Chinese languages and literatures, foreign languages and literatures, and Marxism. Four disciplines including chemistry, engineering, agricultural science, and phytology and zoology are listed among the world's top 1% of ESI.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Campus
- 4 Science and Research
- 5 Faculty and Staff
- 6 Library
- 7 International Exchange and Cooperation
- 8 School forum
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The history of Nanjing Normal University (NNU) can be traced back to 1902 with the establishment of Sanjiang Normal College, one of the cradles of China's higher normal schools. It evolved into Liangjiang Excellent Normal College, National Nanjing Higher Normal School, National Southeast University, the Fourth Zhongshan University, National Jiangsu University, National Central University, Nanjing University in the following decades. The other origin of Nanjing Normal University is the Nanking University which was established in 1888. And it developed into Private Ginling University in 1910. In 1951, Private Ginling University and Private Ginling Women Arts and Science College, which was known as Private Ginling Women University, were integrated to National Ginling University. In 1952, as the result of the nationwide adjustment of higher education, some schools and departments of Nanjing University and Ginling University were separated from the former universities and merged into Nanjing Normal College which was set up on the former site of the Ginling Women University. In 1984, Nanjing Normal College was renamed Nanjing Normal University. In 1996, it entered the list of key universities of "Project 211". In 2000, Nanjing Power College was incorporated into the university.
2018 stabbing incident
On July 11, 2018, a Pakistani student enrolled at Nanjing Normal University through a scholarship for foreign students, Moiz-ud-Din, was repeatedly stabbed and beaten by a local cyclist shortly after an altercation characterized as a "roadside dispute" near the city's entertainment district. The student subsequently died from his injuries at a nearby hospital. The argument and violent attack were caught on surveillance cameras, which led to the arrest of the assailant. Municipal police announced the capture and investigation of the suspect on social media, and the Pakistani embassy in Beijing and consulate-general in Shanghai have announced their cooperation in the investigation.
The incident received widespread attention on Chinese social media. Classmates at the university posted grieving messages on WeChat and began a hashtag campaign. However, according to a video commentary on the incident uploaded by Beijing News, there was also intense uproar and "extreme reactions" on the internet, which the media outlet asserts were due to Moiz-ud-Din's status as a Pakistani student and the assailant being a Chinese national.
Nanjing Normal University is now ranked as one of the top 5 normal universities and top 50 comprehensive universities in China with a number of national top subjects. According to the academic evaluation held by the Ministry of Education of China in 2012, NNU ranked 3rd in China for pedagogy, 6th for geography as well as Marxism studies, 7th for foreign languages and literatures, 9th for psychology and fine arts, 13th for law, etc.
Colleges and schools
Up to 2016, there are 26 colleges and schools in Nanjing Normal University, including:
- Ginling College
- School of Business
- School of Law
- School of Public Administration
- School of Chinese Language and Literature
- School of Foreign Languages and Cultures
- School of Journalism and Communication
- School of Social Development
- School of Marxism Studies
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Geography Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Psychology
- School of Education Science
- School of Chemistry and Materials Science
- School of Physics and Technology
- School of Computer Science and Technology
- School of Electrical and Automation Engineering
- School of Energy and Mechanical Engineering
- School of Environment
- School of Fine Arts
- School of Music
- School of Sports Science and Physical Education
- School of Teacher Education 
- International College for Chinese Studies
- Honors College
Also, Nanjing Normal University has two independent colleges, Zhongbei College of Nanjing Normal University and Taizhou College of Nanjing Normal University. Zhongbei College, which shares some of the education resources with the main campus, is located next to the Xianlin Campus of Nanjing Normal University, while Taizhou College is located independently in Taizhou, Jiangsu.
Majors and Programs
Nanjing Normal University offers 22 doctoral degree programs of first-level disciplines and other 4 doctoral degree programs of second-level disciplines which are not included above, 37 master’s degree programs of first-level disciplines and 10 master’s degree programs of second-level disciplines which are not included above, 1 professional doctoral degree programs, 18 professional master's degree programs, 99 undergraduate's programs and 22 post-doctoral research centers.
NNU was one of the first higher education institutions in China which resumed graduate programs in 1978. There are 137 Ph.D. supervisors and 450 MA supervisors. Its student enrollment is over 4,600. Since 1978, over 1,750 students have received master's degrees; more than 290 students have received doctoral degrees. The university has enrolled postgraduate students from all over the world including Taiwan, Hong Kong and Russia. Instructors and students have gone to universities abroad for joint education programs and degree studies.
In 2006, the Nanjing Normal University-Jiangsu Institute of Education joint training 4-years undergraduate program was permitted by the Ministry of Education of PRC. Some graduates in 2010, which were the first session of the joint training program, had received their undergraduate diplomas and bachelor's degrees from Nanjing Normal University, and got their The Teacher Certification from Jiangsu Institute of Education.
The university has three campuses:
- Suiyuan (Ninghai Road 122, Gulou District), the National unit key cultural relics protection, which is called as "The most beautiful campus in the East".
- Zijin (Bancang Street 78, Jiangning District)
- Xianlin (Xianlin Road, Qixia District)
Xianlin campus is the newest and largest campus of Nanjing Normal University, with a modern library and stadium, established in 2001. The library, subsidized by Zhu Jingwen, is the largest in terms of the single building area in Jiangsu Province.[clarification needed] The campus itself occupies an area of 5,200 mu (=346.7 hectares). Xianlin campus is divided into four parts, east, west, north and south. Most of the Arts professional concentrated in Xianlin campus. Also, most of the undergraduates are studying in this campus.
Suiyuan campus is renowned as "the most beautiful campus of the Orient". It is located on Ninghai Road, where many malls, shops and restaurants like McDonald's and Suguo Supermarket are situated, which bring much convenience to the lives of students and teachers. What's more, it is also very easy to get there from anywhere in Nanjing since the nearest bus stop and metro station is very closed to its front gate.
Science and Research
In recent years, NNU has achieved 15 Major Projects of the National Social Science Fund, 4 Key Projects of Philosophy and Social Sciences Research of the Ministry of Education, 2 Support Projects of National Science and Technology,4 Major Projects of National Sciences Research, 1 project funded by “Program 863”, 12 Key Projects of the National Natural Science Fund. In addition, it has 5 research papers published in the Journal of Science and the Journal of Nature with NNU faculty members as the first authors, and won Second Prize of National Natural Science Award (ranked first). It also won 6 First Prizes of Humanities and Social Sciences and 3 First Prizes of Natural Sciences in College Outstanding Research Achievement Awards of the Ministry of Education (ranked first), with 8 monographs selected into Achievements Library of National Social Sciences Fund. Supported by its priority disciplines and major research institutes, NNU has established a number of platforms of fruitful production-study-research cooperation, promoting the transformation of scientific and technological achievements and the development of cultural innovation industries. A number of featured fields of production-study-research cooperation have been built to encourage teachers to do research on application strategies and play a role of a brain trust.
Faculty and Staff
Until 2016, Nanjing Normal University has 3,235 faculty and staff, including 1,898 full-time teachers, 2 academicians, 323 professors, 552 associate professors, 502 lecturers, and 151 teaching assistants. Among all the teachers, 1,152 of them have the graduate degrees, which accounts for 73%. There are two academicians of Chinese Academy of Science: Li Jijun (李吉均) in College of Geography, who mainly studies in glaciology, geomorphology and quaternary, and SongDaxiang (宋大祥) in College of Life Science, who mainly studies in Spider-shaped animal systematics. Guo Quan (郭泉), human rights activist, founder of the banned China New Democracy Party and professor of the university since 2001, as of March 2015 has been political prisoner since 2009.
Nanjing Normal University has seven main libraries.
- Jing Wen Library
Jing Wen Library was constructed in April, 2001 based on the collection of Jinling Women College and sponsored by Zhu Jingwen, a well-known businessman in H.K. It is the center library of Nanjing Normal University and has the most books.
- Sui Yuan Library
- Hua Xia Library
- Zi Jin Library
- Biological and Geography Library
- Social Sciences Library
- Mathematical Library
International Exchange and Cooperation
NNU is one of the first group of universities to open up to the outside world in China, boasting a model base authorized by the Ministry of Education for foreign students’ education and base for teaching Chinese to foreigners, one of the first bases for Chinese language education and preschool education for students from China’s Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan regions. In addition, it has several international research and teaching organizations like UNESCO International Rural Education Research and Training Center (INRULED) Nanjing Base, French Culture Research Center and Alliance française de Nanjing and Italian Culture Research Center. NNU has established 3 Confucius Institutes in North Carolina State University, Pace University and France’s Alsace Region. It has developed joint programs with 13 overseas universities and launched study abroad programs with 49 universities. Apart from that, NNU has established intercollegiate exchange relationships with 192 universities from 33 countries and regions all over the world. NNU has employed more than 400 foreign experts, 56 of whom are long-term ones, and it also has received more than 1,600 foreign students annually from 133 countries and regions.
- Stanford University
- University of Maryland
- University of Arizona
- North Carolina State University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- University of Central Florida
- University of Houston
- George Washington University
- George Mason University
- Pace University
- California State University at Long Beach
- California State University, Sacramento
- University of North Carolina, Pembroke
- University of Wisconsin,Eau-Claire
- University of Hawaii at Hilo
- Ball State University
- Idaho State University
- Northern Arizona University
- Queen Mary University of London
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Northumbria University
- Newcastle University
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Stirling
- University of Toronto
- University of Calgary
- Concordia University
- York University
- Monash University
- Macquarie University
- University of Western Sydney
- Heideberg University
- University of Freiburg
- University of Wuerzburg
- Hokkaido University
- Kumamoto University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Tokyo Gakugei University
- Kanto Gakuin University
- Sapporo Gakuin University
- Japanese Foreign Language School
- Korea University
- Kyungpook University
- Keimyung University
- Chung-Ang University
- Dankook University
The forum is the school forum of Nanjing Normal University. Founded in 2008 by the students, the forum is a school organization which advocates multicultural university, improves after-school activities and makes the school activities and Internet culture develop together.
During the development process, Yangfan received support from the school committee, the Information Center, some colleges and school organizations. The goals of Yangfan are several points. Fairness and justice are necessary. Each student can develop their own character free. Also, it works for providing a happy and healthy Internet world for everyone. These goals are the reason why the forum can make cooperation with other legal parties and make the students' lives more colourful at the university.
- Secretary Xiaoming Wen
- Principal Yongzhong Song
- Vice Secretary and Principal Jinwen Xia
- Vice Principal Lingfu Chen
- Vice Principal Linhui Cai
- Vice Principal Jian Wang
- Vice Principal Kangning Wu
- Secretary of the Discipline Inspection Commission Yannian Ni
- Vice Principal Baiqi Pan
- Vice Principal Guoxiang Chen
- Vice Principal Kangsheng Fu
- Vice Principal Wanhong Tang
- The Standing Committee of the Party committee Yaolin Lin
- Assistant of principal Chongzheng Xu
- Government departments
- Supplementary units
- College setting
- Mass organizations
- Auxiliary unit
- Tao Xingzhi, one of the most celebrated educators in China's history
- Xu Beihong, one of the most famous Chinese artists of the 20th century
- Zhang Daqian
- Meng Fei
- Liu Mingkang
- Li Jiange
- Zhang Jindong
- Zhu Chengshan
- Chen Zhifu
- Chen Heqin
- Hong Yinxing
- Li Ruiqing
- Jiang Qian
- Wu Weishan
- Fan Yang
- Guo Bingwen
- "学校简介——南京师范大学". www.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "Pakistani student stabbed to death in China". Times of Islamabad. 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Pakistani student stabbed to death by Chinese motorist in Nanjing - SupChina". supchina.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Nanjing Foreign Student Dies Following Street Fight | The Nanjinger". The Nanjinger. 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- "Sina Visitor System". www.weibo.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Pak embassy to investigate murder of Pakistani student in China". The Nation. 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "陈迪说：南京外籍留学生身亡 勿因不满而为流血欢呼-新京报我们视频的秒拍". www.miaopai.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "南师大化学与材料科学学院学生工作网". hky.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "南京师范大学计算机科学与技术学院". computer.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "南京师范大学教师教育学院". jsjyxy.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "World University Rankings". timeshighereducation.com. 18 August 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "南京师范大学图书馆". Lib.njnu.edu.cn. 2005-07-26. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "http://www.njnu.edu.cn/xxgk/20040730122233_28371_64.htm李吉均院士". njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018. External link in
- "本馆简介". njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "About Nanjing Normal University - Nanjing Normal University". en.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "one of anniversaries of YangFan". Retrieved 2009-12-02.
- "Alumni - Nanjing Normal University". en.njnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nanjing Normal University.|