Nanni Moretti, 2011
August 19, 1953
Bruneck, South Tyrol, Italy
Giovanni "Nanni" Moretti (Italian pronunciation: [ˈnanni moˈretti]; born 19 August 1953) is an Italian film director, producer, screenwriter and actor. The Palme d'Or winner in 2001, in 2012 he was the President of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival.
Life and work
Moretti was born in Bruneck, South Tyrol, Italy to Roman parents who were both teachers. His father was the late epigraphist Luigi Moretti, an influential Greek teacher at Sapienza University of Rome. While growing up he discovered his two passions, the cinema and water polo. Having finished his studies he pursued a career as a producer, and in 1973 directed his first two short films: Pâté de bourgeois and The Defeat (La sconfitta). His brother is the renowned literary scholar Franco Moretti.
In 1976, Giovanni's first feature film Io sono un autarchico (I am Self-Sufficient) was released. In 1978 he produced the movie Ecce Bombo, which tells the story of a student having problems with his entourage. It was screened at the Cannes Festival. Sogni d'oro won the Silver Lion at the 38th Venice International Film Festival. La messa è finita won the Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize at the 36th Berlin International Film Festival.
He may be best known for his films Caro diario (Dear Diary, 1993; followed in 1998 by a sequel, Aprile) and La stanza del figlio (The Son's Room, 2001), the latter of which won the Palme d'Or at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival.
Moretti has used certain actors several times in his films, generally playing minor roles. His father Luigi appears in 6 films, Dario Cantarelli and Mauro Fabretti in 5, Antonio Petrocelli in 4. Actors he has used in more major roles include Silvio Orlando, who appears in 5 films (including the role of protagonist in Il caimano) and Laura Morante, who featured in Sogni d'oro, Bianca and The Son's Room.
Having played waterpolo in the B division of the Italian championship, his experience later inspired his film Palombella Rossa ("palombella," which literally means "little pigeon," refers to a type of lob shot). His other work has not been widely seen outside Europe, but within his country Moretti is known as a maker of wryly humorous and eccentric films, usually starring himself. His most recent role was in the film We Have a Pope (Habemus Papam, 2011)
Moretti is also an outspoken political leftist: in 2002 he organized street protests against the government of Silvio Berlusconi. Il caimano (2006) is in part about Berlusconi's controversies: in one of the three portraits of the Italian prime minister Moretti himself plays Berlusconi. Aprile also deals with Italy's political situation and Moretti's views on it. His 2011 film We Have a Pope screened In Competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
He lives in Rome, having been resident since birth, where he is co-owner of a small movie theater, Nuovo Sacher. The short film, Il Giorno della prima di Close Up (Opening Day of Close-Up, 1996), shows Moretti at his theatre attempting to encourage patrons to attend the opening day of Abbas Kiarostami's film, Close Up.
He is not religious. In his words, "I remember the shirts that said 'Thank God I'm an atheist'. Funny. But I do not think so. I'm not a believer and I'm sorry."
Films directed by Moretti
- The Defeat (La sconfitta, 1973 short)
- Pâté de bourgeois (1973 short)
- Friar How Do You Speak? (Come parli frate?, 1974 medium)
- I Am Self Sufficient (Io sono un autarchico, 1976)
- Ecce bombo (1978)
- Sweet Dreams (Sogni d'oro, 1981)
- Bianca (1984)
- The Mass Is Ended (La messa è finita, 1985)
- Red Wood Pigeon (Palombella Rossa, 1989)
- The Thing (La cosa, 1990 medium)
- Caro diario (1993)
- The Only Country In The World (L'unico paese al mondo, 1994 short)
- Opening Day of Close-Up (Il Giorno della prima di Close Up, 1996 short)
- April (Aprile,1998)
- The Son's Room (La stanza del figlio, 2001)
- The Last Customer (2002 short)
- Anguished Cry Of Predator Bird (Il grido d'angoscia dell'uccello predatore, 2003 short)
- Il caimano (2006)
- The Last Championship (L'ultimo campionato, 2007 short)
- Diary Of A Moviegoer (Diario di uno spettatore, 2007 short of To Each His Own Cinema)
- Film Quiz (2008 short)
- We Have a Pope (Habemus Papam, 2011)
- My Mother (Mia madre, 2015)
Films in which Moretti acted
- Father and Master (Padre Padrone, 1977)
- Riso in bianco: Nanni Moretti atleta di se stesso (1984, TV)
- It's Happening Tomorrow (Domani accadrà, 1988)
- The Yes Man (Il portaborse, 1991)
- The Second Time (La seconda volta, 1995)
- Quiet Chaos (Caos calmo, 2008)
- Cannes Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- Silver Lion – Special Jury Prize 1981: Sogni d'oro (Sweet Dreams)
- "Bastone Bianco" Filmcritic Award 1989: Palombella Rossa (Red Lob)
- Berlin International Film Festival
- Chicago International Film Festival
- Golden Plaque for Best Documentary Short Film 2003: The Last Customer
- Silver Plaque for Best Screenplay 2008: Quiet Chaos
- European Film Awards
- São Paulo International Film Festival
- Critics Award 1990: Palombella Rossa (Red Lob)
- Sudbury Cinéfest
- Best International Film 1994: Caro diario
- Sant Jordi Awards
- Best Foreign Film 1995: Caro diario
- Guild of German Art House Cinemas
- Guild Film Award – Silver 2002: The Son's Room
- David di Donatello
- Silver Ribbon
- Best Story 1978: Ecce Bombo
- Best Producer 1988: It's Happening Tomorrow
- Best Story 1990: Palombella Rossa (Red Lob)
- Best Producer 1992: The Yes Man
- Best Director 1994: Caro diario
- Best Producer 1996: The Second Time
- Best Director 2001: The Son's Room
- Best Producer 2007: Il caimano
- Best Director 2011: We Have a Pope
- Best Story 2011: We Have a Pope
- Best Producer 2011: We Have a Pope
- Ciak d'oro Awards
- Best Director 1986: The Mass Is Ended
- Best Screenplay 1986: The Mass Is Ended
- Best Director 1990: Palombella Rossa (Red Lob)
- Best Film 1994: Caro diario
- Best Director 1994: Caro diario
- Best Screenplay 1994: Caro diario
- Best Film 2001: The Son's Room
- Best Director 2001: The Son's Room
- Best Film 2006: Il caimano
- Best Director 2006: Il caimano
- Best Screenplay 2006: Il caimano
- Best Film 2011: We Have a Pope
- Best Screenplay 2011: We Have a Pope
- UBU Awards
- Best Italian Movie 1977/78: Ecce Bombo
- Globi d'oro Awards
- Cahiers du cinéma
- Chatrian, Carlo & Eugenio Renzi. Conversations avec Nanni Moretti, Paris, 2008, Editions des Cahiers du cinéma.
- Mazierska, Ewa & Laura Rascaroli. The Cinema of Nanni Moretti, Wallflower, 2004.
- "Nanni Moretti named 2012 Cannes jury president". LA Times. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Giampiero Mughini, «Moretti, il poeta organizzatore», Corriere della Sera, 21 November 2007
- Valerie Sanders, The Bourgeois: Between History and Literature by Franco Moretti, Times Higher Education, 27 Jube 2013
- "Berlinale: 1986 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Son's Room". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- 200,000 protest in Rome vs Berlusconi’s legal "reforms"
- "Nanni Moretti profile". The Guardian (London, UK). 17 November 2001. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Festival de Cannes: Official Selection". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Interview for Style Quanto al suo rapporto con la religione: "Ricordo le magliette con la scritta 'Grazie a Dio sono ateo'. Divertenti. Ma io non la penso così. Non sono credente e mi dispiace"
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Interview with Nanni Moretti with his own thoughts on his films, filmlinc.com; accessed 12 December 2014.
- Nanni Moretti at the Internet Movie Database