|• Mayor||Regina Bakitte|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Nansana is located on the main highway between Kampala and Hoima, the Kampala-Hoima Road. The town is approximately 12 kilometres (7 mi), by road, north-west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This is approximately 9 kilometres (6 mi), by road, south of Wakiso, the location of he district headquarters. The coordinates of the town are 0°21'50.0"N, 32°31'43.0"E (Latitude:0.363889; Longitude:32.528611).
In 2002, the national population census put Nansana's population at 62,044. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the town's population at 86,200. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 89,900. In 2014, the national population census put the population at 365,124.
Nansana is a high-density working class neighborhood. Beginning in May 2017 a crime wave engulfed the town, involving the murder of young women in their 20's and 30s. As of 4 August 2017, a total of 10 young women have been murdered in Nansana, after being sexually molested. None of the murders have been solved. The local politicians have disagreed on what needs to be done. There are reasons to believe that some of the victims were engaged in prostitution and were killed when they disagreed with their customers. Ian Kyeyune, the Resident District Commissioner (RDC) for Wakiso District proposes to licence all prostitutes in the town so that they are accorded protection by the government. However, Regina Bakitte, the mayor of Nansana, opposes the idea, arguing that this would encourage promiscuity in the town. Prostitution is illegal in Uganda.
Photos and Videos
- Photo of Hardware Store in Nansana
- Short Film About Nansana's Waste Management Issues
- Nexus Resorts Hotel
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Kiggundu, Joseph (4 March 2016). "DP dominates Wakiso District mayoral polls". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Mugerwa, Yasiin (7 August 2015). "Museveni approves 11 new municipalities". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- LCMT (4 August 2017). "Map of Nansana Municipality". Lcmt.org (LCMT). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- GFC (4 August 2017). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Nansana, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- GFC (4 August 2017). "Distance between Nansana, Central Region, Uganda and Wakiso, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Google (1 July 2015). "Location of Nansana At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- UBOS (2011). "Estimated Population of Nansana In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Kato, Joseph (18 July 2017). "Uganda: Another Woman Striped, Killed in Nansana". Daily Monitor via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- Kiggundu, Joseph (4 August 2017). "Wakiso RDC wants sex workers licensed". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Kafeero, Stephen (25 June 2017). "6 women raped, killed in similar brutal fashion". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 5 August 2017.