Nanuk Remotely Controlled Weapon Station
|Overhead Weapons Station (OWS)|
|Type||Remote Weapon System|
|Place of origin||Canada|
|Used by||Canadian Forces|
|Designer||Rheinmetall Defence Canada|
|Manufacturer||Rheinmetall Defence Canada|
|Caliber||5.56mm, 7.62mm, 12.7mm, 25mm, 40mm|
The Nanuk is a remote weapon station (RWS) used for light and medium caliber weapons which can be installed on any type of armored vehicles or Brown water patrol vessel. It is designed by Rheinmetall Canada, in Quebec, Canada. The word Nanuk (ᓇᓄᖅ) means "Polar bear" in Inuktitut.
The Nanuk is a remotely controlled weapon station (RCWS) that can be integrated on various armoured vehicle platforms and used for different mission profiles. The Nanuk weapon station combines full stabilisation, long range day/night all weather sights and universal weapon cradle that integrates 5.56mm, 7.62mm and 12.7mm weapons, and 40mm AGL.
Several weapons can be mounted to the platform, such as:
- M2 12.7 mm heavy machine gun
- M240/MAG-58 7.62 mm machine gun
- M249/minimi 5.56mm machine gun
- MG3 7.62 mm machine gun
- MG4 5.56 mm machine gun
- MK19 40 mm grenade launcher
- H&K GMG 40 mm grenade launcher
- CRV7 Rocket System 70 mm folding-fin ground attack rocket
- Javelin anti-tank guided missile (ATGM)
- Hellfire anti-tank guided missile (ATGM)
- "All Polar Bears Have a Bite – the Nanuk Weapons Station". Canadian American Strategic Review. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
The Nanuk is a Canadian design distinct from other Rheinmetall RCWS models.
- "Nanuk medium-weight weapon station". Rheinmetall Canada. Archived from the original on 2008-06-13. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- Rheinmetall Defence on Nanuk
- Article about Nanuk on the GEFAS
- Nanuk Canadian Forces Article
- Jane's Defence Article on Nanuk
|This article related to weaponry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|