Naomh Abán GAA
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Colours:||Blue and White|
|Grounds:||Páirc Abán agus Páirc an Choláiste.|
Naomh Abán GAA is a Gaelic football club based in Baile Bhuirne, County Cork, Ireland. It participates in games of the Muskerry division of the Cork GAA. The club has experienced senior grade football within Cork county for many years. It now participates in the Premier Intermediate grade.
The club has contributed a number of players to the Cork gaelic football team. These have included Anthony Lynch, Mícheál Cronin, Gerry Lucey, Gerry Lynch, Mick Scannell, Peadar Healy, and Coleman Twomey.
Naomh Abán GAA fields underage boys and girls teams and also has an adult ladies team.
The ladies team won the All-Ireland Intermediate title in 2003 making it the most successful team in the history of Naomh Aban. The club does not field any hurling teams.
Sean Murphy is said to be one of the best statisticians around.
The club is centred in the parish of Baile Bhúirne which is located in the valley of the River Sullane. The parish is spread along the N22 national primary road (Macroom-Killarney), on the eastern side of the Cork/Kerry county bounds. There are two football pitches- Páirc Abán and a new one, Páirc an Choláiste between the two parts of the village Ballymakeera. The first pitch was situated on wetlands (Irish: An Portach Rua) which were dried and laid out in lawn. Changing rooms and perimeter walls were also constructed. At the official opening on 25 February 1979, the President of the GAA, Con Murphy, dedicated Páirc Abán (St Aban's Park) in memory of Conchúbhar Ó Luasa. Kerry and Cork played in a challenge game to mark the opening. The new park is located near Coláiste Íosagáin where it has undergone major development since 2007.
The region is situated in the Gaeltacht and is renowned in the Irish language, music, literature, and song. The club helps to keep those traditions and members are involved in various aspects. Many of Naomh Abán's players have achieved highly on the county and national stage. Micheál O Scanaill won an All-Ireland Senior Football Championship medal in 1973, and he and Dónal Óg Ó Liatháin have won Sigerson medals. O Scannail has also won Railway Cup and Munster Championship medals on more than one occasion. Jerry Lynch has a league medal to his name. Many players have won All-Ireland Minor, U21 and Vocational schools medals. Father and Son Diarmuid and Jonathan McCarthy both won All Ireland minor medals. Anthony Lynch was a member of the Cork panel when they won the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship in 2010.
- Cork Intermediate Football Championship: 1977, 1999 Runners Up: 1975, 1976
- Cork Junior Football Championship: 1973, 1988
- Cork Under-21 Football Championship: Runners Up 1995
- Cork Intermediate Football League: 1974, 1976, 1978
- Muskerry Junior A Football Championship: 1928, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1988
- Muskerry Junior B Football championship: 1971, 1995
- Muskerry junior C Football Championship: 1996, 2007, 2009
- Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta:(8) 1975, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 2000, 2003, 2005
- Muskerry Under 21 football Championships:1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1973, 1976, 1980, 1987, 1995, 2012
- Muskerry Minor Championships:1965, 1966, 1967, 1981, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2010
- Rebel Óg West Minor B Football Championship: 2012. 2014
- Rebel Óg County Minor B Football Championship: 2012. 2014
- County Under-16 Championship: 2004
Senior: Tadhg Ó Tuathaigh, Dónal J Ó Loingsigh (1920's), Gearóid Ó Laoire (1940's), Diarmuid (Jerry) Ó Luasa, Diarmaid Mac Carthaigh, Mícheál Ó Scanaill, Diarmuid Ó Loingsigh, Mícheál Ó Críodáin, Jonathan Mac Carthaigh, Antaine Ó Loingsigh, Tadhg Ó Murchú, Mícheál Ó Croinín.
Mionúir: Seán Ó hAlmhain, Jerry Ó Loingsigh, Antaine Ó Loingsigh, Diarmaid Mac Carthaigh, Jonathan Mac Carthaigh, Micheál Ó Scanaill, Séan Ó Mulláin, Tadhg Ó Murchú, Peadar Ó hEalaithe, Dónal Ó Croinín, Micheál Ó Croinín, Mícheál Ó Tuama, Colm de hÍde, Maidhc Ó Duinín.
Fé21: Diarmuid Ó Luasa, Diarmaid Mac Carthaigh, Antaine Ó Loingsigh, Jonathan Mac Carthaigh, Micheál Ó Criodáin, Micheál Ó Scanaill, Tadhg Ó Murchú, Jerry Ó Loingsigh, Donal Ó hEalaithe, Peadar Ó hEalaithe, Séan Ó hAlmhain, Liam Ó Fuaráin, Liam Mac an Mhaoir, Donal Ó Croinín, Micheál Ó Croinín, Colmáin Ó Tuama, Micheal Ó Laoire, Colm de hÍde, Maidhc Ó Duinín.
- 2007 Senior Championship.
- Naomh Abán V Bantry Blues, 15/04/2007. Final score NA 1-9 to BB 0-12.
- Naomh Abán V Bantry Blues, 28/04/2007. Final score NA 1-9 to BB 0-9.
- Naomh Abán V St. Nicks, 4/7/2007. Final score NA 0-6 to SN 0-10.
- 2008 Senior Championship.
- Naomh Abán V Dohenys, 18/04/2008. Final score NA 0-10 to Dh 0-9.
- Naomh Aban V Douglas, 22/06/2008. Final score NA 0-3 Dg 2-14.
- 2009 Senior Championship
- Naomh Abán V Douglas, 20/04/2009. Final score NA 0-8 to Dg 1-7.
- Naomh Abán V Mallow, 09/05/2009. Final score NA 2-11 to Ml 1-7.
- Naomh Abán V Duhallow, 21/06/2009. Final score NA 0-8 to Dw 0-8.
- Naomh Abán V Duhallow, 12/07/2009. Final score NA 1-8 to Dw 1-12.
- 2010 Senior Championship (Relegated)
- Naomh Abán V Nemo Rangers, 15/05/2010. Final score NA 1-4 to NR 2-17.
- Naomh Abán V Dohenys, 12/06/2010. Final score NA 1-6 to Dh 2-14.
- Naomh Abán V Valley Rovers, 27/06/2010. Final score NA 1-8 to VR 1-10.
- Naomh Abán V Na Piarsaigh, 24/09/2010. Final score NA 1-16 to NP 2-14.
- 2011 Premier Intermediate Championship.
- Naomh Abán V Clyda Rovers, 7/05/2011. Final score NA 0-4 to CR 0-7
- Naomh Abán V Carrigaline, 11/06/2011. Final score (AET) NA 1-14 to Cg 1-12.
- Naomh Abán V Kiskeam, 7/08/2011. Final score NA 0-9 to Kk 0-9.
- Naomh Abán V Kiskeam (Replay), 14/08/2011. Final score NA 0-15 to Kk 1-7.
- Naomh Abán V Newmartket, 28/08/2011. Final score NA 0-13 to Nm 2-7.
- Naomh Abán V Newmarket, 03/09/2011. Final score NA 1-7 to Nm 2-11.
- 2012 Premier Intermediate Championship.
- Naomh Abán V Ballinora, 06/05/2012. Final score NA 1-12 to BN 0-9.
- Naomh Abán V Béal Áthan Ghaorthaigh, 21/07/2012. Final score NA 0-13 to BG 1-10.
- Naomh Abán V Béal Áthan Ghaorthaigh, 11/08/2012. Final score NA 2-7 to BG 1-9.
- Naomh Abán V St. Vincents, 24/08/2012. Final Score NA 0-13 to SV 2-12.
- 2013 Premier Intermediate Championship
- Naomh Abán V Glenville, 05/05/2013. Final Score NA 3-13 to Gv 2-11.
- Naomh Abán V Kiskeam, 04/08/2013. Final Score NA 0-16 to Kk 0-21.