Naomi B. Robbins
Naomi Bograd Robbins is an expert in data visualization. She is the author of Creating More Effective Graphs (Wiley, 2005), a reference book on the graphical representation of data. She has also served as the 2015 chair of the Section on Statistical Graphics of the American Statistical Association.
Naomi Bograd did her undergraduate studies at Bryn Mawr College, and graduated in 1958 with honors in mathematics. By 1961, when she joined the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, she was already a member of the technical staff of Bell Labs. In 1962, she earned a master's degree from Cornell University with a thesis On a sequential process inspection scheme with an application to a detection problem. She married optometrist Edward Robbins, and completed her studies with a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1971. Her dissertation was Some characteristics of Page's procedures for detecting a change in a location parameter. She continued to work for many years at Bell Labs before going into private practice as a statistical consultant.
- Reviews of Creating More Effective Graphs:
- Kadilak, Denise (November 2005), Technical Communication, 52 (4): 485–486, JSTOR 43093633
- Bulsara, Max K. (February 2006), Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 15 (1): 89–89, doi:10.1177/096228020601500109
- Bradstreet, Thomas E. (July 2007), Computational Statistics, 22 (4): 661–663, doi:10.1007/s00180-007-0064-x
- Miller, Jane E. (August 2007), Sociological Methods & Research, 36 (1): 143–146, doi:10.1177/0049124107299433
- "Notes from the Section Chairs", Statistical Computing & Graphics Newsletter, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, July 2015, retrieved 2017-11-18
- Speaker biography: Naomi Robbins, O'Reilly Strata Conference, 2011, retrieved 2017-11-18
- "Honors", The College News, Bryn Mawr College, 43 (23), p. 1, 1958-06-03
- "News and Notices", The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 32 (2): 640–650, June 1961, JSTOR 2237781
- Bograd, Naomi, On a sequential process inspection scheme with an application to a detection problem, Cornell University
- "Wendy Stryker, Richard Robbins", Weddings/Celebrations, The New York Times, 2004-07-04,
The bridegroom ... is the son of Dr. Naomi Bograd Robbins and Dr. Edward Robbins of Wayne, N.J. His mother is a consultant on graphical data presentations in Wayne. His father is an optometrist in Ramsey, N.J.
- Robbins, Naomi B., Some characteristics of Page's procedures for detecting a change in a location parameter, Dissertation, Columbia University. As listed by WorldCat.
- ASA Fellows list, American Statistical Association, retrieved 2017-11-18
- NBR, Robbins' business