|Napoleón Isabelo Veloso-Abueva|
January 26, 1930 |
Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines
|Spouse(s)||Sergia (Cherry) Abueva|
|Children||Amihan, Mulawin, Duero|
Napoleón Isabelo Veloso Abueva (born January 26, 1930), more popularly known as Napoleón Abueva, is a Filipino artist. He is a sculptor given the distinction as the Philippines' National Artist for Sculpture. He is also entitled as the "Father of Modern Philippine Sculpture". He was awarded National Artist of the Philippines in the field of Visual Arts.
Biography and career
Abueva has six other brothers and sisters: Teodoro (Teddy -deceased ), Jr.; Purificacion (Neny -deceased), married to Atty. Ramon Binamira (dec.) of Tagbilaran City; Jose Abueva (Pepe), former president of the University of the Philippines; Amelia Martinez (Inday), now living in Chicago; Teresita (Ching) Floro, now living in Sydney, Australia; and Antonio (Tony), a landscape artist.
At U.P, one of his mentors was Guillermo Tolentino, also a national artist, who created the oblation at the university entrance . Tolentino later relegated to him the task of replicating the sculpture for the Campus of U.P. Los Banos.
Some of his major works include Kaganapan (1953), Kiss of Judas (1955), Thirty Pieces of Silver, The Transfiguration, Eternal Gardens Memorial Park (1979), UP Gateway (1967), Nine Muses (1994), UP Faculty Center, Sunburst (1994)-Peninsula Manila Hotel. His Sandugo or Blood Compact shrine in Bohol, Tagbilaran City is a landmark at the site of the first international treaty of friendship between Spaniards and Filipinos.
His son, Mulawin Abueva performed the death mask procedure of opposition leader Ninoy Aquino in 1983 while the elder Abueva made the death mask of Fernando Poe, Jr. in 2004. Both masks are now displayed at the Center for Kapampangan Studies, Hacienda Luisita, Tarlac. Incidentally, he also made a death mask of Cardinal Sin.
He is married to Cherry Abueva, a psychiatrist, and has three children, Amihan,Mulawin, and Duero. Before his stroke, he used to teach at the Industrial Design department of the De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde School of Design and Arts.
- Century 21 Exposition in Seattle, Washington (1962)
- Cultural mission to India
- Cultural mission to Taipei
- Arts Council in England (1964) - special guest
- Venice Biennale (1964)
- Fifth International Congress of Art in Tokyo (1966) - delegate
- Sixth International congress of Art in Amsterdam (1969).
- Biennale de Sao Paulo, Brazil (1969).
- art exhibit of the Philippine Pavilion in Expo 70, Osaka, Japan
- First Prize, Sculptural Exhibition by the Art Association of the Philippines (1951)
- First Prize in the Fifth Annual Art Exhibition (1952)
- First Prize and Special Award on the Fourth Sculptural Exhibition (1952)
- Awardee, "The Unknown Political Prisoner" in the International Sculpture Competition by the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London (1953)
- First Prize and Special Award, Kaganapan (Marble), in the Semi-Annual Art Exhibition by the Art Association of the Philippines (1953)
- First Prize, "Kiss of Judas" (Wood) in the Religious Art Exhibition in Detroit, Michigan, USA (1955)
- Purchase Prize, "Water Buffalo" (Marble), in the Annual Show, at St. Louis, Missouri, USA (1956)
- First Prize, "Figure" (Wood) in the Annual Show of the Art Association of the Philippines (1957)
- Most Outstanding Alumnus of the School of Fine Arts, U.P. Golden Jubilee (1958)
- Republic Award for Sculpture (1959)
- Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines (TOYM) Awardee in Sculpture (1959)
- Winner, U.P. Gateway Design Competition (1962)
- Winner, Cultural Heritage Award (1966)
- ASEAN Awards for Visual Arts in Bangkok (1987)
- Fourth ASEAN Achievement Award for Visual Arts in Singapore (July 1995).
- "Napoleon Veloso-Abueva the first and only Boholano National Artist]". The Bohol Times. 25 January 2004.
- "Teodoro V. Abueva - Obituary". New York Times. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Edson C. Tandoc Jr. Poe 'smiling' in death mask Philippine Daily Inquirer December 15, 2005.
- The Maestro is in the House perspective Vol. 9 No. 11, November 12-November 25, 2007
- CPH to inaugurate Abueva Lounge with solo exhibit by national artist Sun.Star Cebu October 22, 2002
- Lawin Abueva. Death Mask of Benigno S. Aquino, Jr. Mr.&Ms. Cover. November 25, 1983.
- Fe B. Zamora. Death is but a mask of immortality. Mr.&Ms. page 4. November 25, 1983.
- Jose Wendell P. Capili. An Interview with National Artist for Sculpture Napoleon Abueva In Focus: About Culture and Arts. November 3, 2003.
- Abueva, the Artist: National Commission on Culture and the Arts
- Abueva, The Only Boholano National Artist: Bohol Times
- Ruel S. De Vera Outstanding in Any Year Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Cebu Plaza Hotel launches Abueva Art Lounge logo tilt Sun.star Cebu October 5, 2002.