Mayor Girod House
In 1934, the famous building housed the "Napoleon Cafe and Grocery".
|Location||500 Chartres St., New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Architectural style||Colonial, Other|
|NRHP Reference #||70000254|
|Added to NRHP||April 15, 1970|
|Designated NHL||April 15, 1970|
The Napoleon House is a historic building in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, dating from 1797. Its name derives from the local legend that it was intended as a residence for Napoleon Bonaparte after his exile. A plan to bring Napoleon to Louisiana was halted by news of his death in 1821.
The building is also known as Mayor Girod House or Nicolas Girod House, as it was the home of Nicholas Girod (d. 1840), mayor of New Orleans. One of the city's finer private residences in the early 19th century, the building housed a local grocery at the start of the 20th century, and for most of the time since the end of Prohibition has housed a bar and restaurant known as "the Napoleon House."
The Napoleon House restaurant has an old-time New Orleans atmosphere and serves serves such traditional dishes as red beans and rice, gumbo, and jambalaya; it has been particularly known among locals for its muffaletta sandwiches. The bar is known for serving its "Pimms Cups" drinks as well as for the classical music played on the sound system.
It is located on Chartres Street in New Orleans.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Mayor Girod House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- Napoleon House: History 
- Patricia Heintzelman (July 15, 1975). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Mayor Girod House / Mayor Girod House - The Napoleon House" (PDF). National Park Service. and PDF (1.55 MB)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Napoleon House, New Orleans.|
- Napoleon House's website
- Historic Architecture of the Napoleon House
- Historic Architecture of the Napoleon House TV Interview