Napoli Centrale railway station
Piazza Garibaldi in front of the railway station.
|Owned by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
|Operated by||Grandi Stazioni|
|Distance||215.971 km (134.198 mi)|
from Roma Termini
(Napoli Piazza Garibaldi)
|Architect||Pier Luigi Nervi|
Napoli Centrale (Naples Central Station) is the main railway station in the city of Naples and in southern Italy and the sixth largest station in Italy in terms of passenger flow with an annual ridership of 50 million. It is located next to Piazza Garibaldi to the east of the old city. It is the primary rail terminus and station for Naples, and serves Trenitalia national railways and EAV and has an underground section known as Stazione di Napoli Piazza Garibaldi (Naples Garibaldi Piazza station), which is served by the metropolitan trains of the line 2.
The first station on the site was built in 1866 and designed by the architect Enrico Alvino. The current station was designed in 1954 by Pier Luigi Nervi, Carlo Cocchia, Massimo Battaglini, Bruno Zevi, Giulio De Luca, Luigi Piccinato and Joseph Vaccaro on the site of the old railway station and overlooks the square dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi. The project was completed in 1960. The station is currently being rebuilt.
The station has 25 tracks. It is connected to Rome by high-speed trains on the Rome–Naples high-speed railway line as well as slower trains on the original Rome–Cassino–Naples line and the Rome–Formia–Naples Direttissima opened in 1927. It is connected to Salerno and southern Italy by the traditional Naples–Salerno line and the recently opened Naples–Salerno high-speed line used by long distance trains.
The station is served by the following services (incomplete):
- High speed services (Frecciarossa) Turin - Milan - Reggio Emilia - Bologna - Florence - Rome - Naples - Salerno
- 2 trains a day extend north to Brescia and 2 trains extend south to Taranto
- High speed services (Frecciarossa) Venice - Padua - Bologna - Florence - Rome - Naples - Salerno
- High speed services (Frecciargento) Rome - Naples - Salerno - Paola - Lamezia Terme - Rosarno - Reggio di Calabria
- High speed services (Frecciargento) Bolzano - Trento - Rovereto - Verona - Bologna - Florence - Rome - Naples
- High speed serviecs (Frecciabianca) Rome - Naples - Salerno - Sapri - Lamezia - Vibo Valentia - Reggio Calabria
- High speed services (Italo) Turin - Milan - Reggio Emilia - Bologna - Florence - Rome - Naples - Salerno
- High speed services (Italo) Brescia - Desenzano - Peschiera del Garda - Verona - Bologna - Florence - Rome - Naples
- Intercity services Rome - Naples - Salerno - Lamezia Terme - Messina - Palermo
- Intercity services Rome - Naples - Salerno - Lamezia Terme - Messina - Siracusa
- Intercity services Rome - Naples - Salerno - Lamezia Terme - Reggio di Calabria
- Intercity services Rome - Naples - Salerno - Taranto
- Intercity services Turin - Genoa - La Spezia - Pisa - Livorno - Rome - Naples - Salerno
- Intercity services Livorno - Civitavecchia - Rome - Naples
- Night train (Intercity Notte) Rome - Naples - Messina - Siracusa
- Night train (Intercity Notte) Turin - Genoa - La Spezia - Pisa - Livorno - Rome - Naples - Salerno
- Regional services (Treno Regionale) Rome - Pomezia - Latina - Formia - Minturno - Naples
|Preceding station||Trenitalia||Following station|
toward Venice Santa Lucia
toward Palermo Centrale
toward Livorno Centrale
|Preceding station||Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori||Following station|
toward Torino Porta Susa
toward Brescia railway station
Napoli Piazza Garibaldi railway station
Below the mainline station is an underground station named Napoli Piazza Garibaldi railway station, for the Villa Literno–Napoli Gianturco railway, used by the metropolitan train of the line 2. There is also a connection to the nearby Circumvesuviana Napoli Piazza Garibaldi.
- "Napoli Centrale". Grandi Stazioni. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- "FRECCIAROSSA run through the high-speed line with fast and frequent connections - Frecce - Trenitalia". www.trenitalia.com. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Frecciargento - Le Frecce - Trenitalia". www.trenitalia.com (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Frecciargento Napoli/Roma-Bolzano - Le Frecce - Trenitalia". www.trenitalia.com (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Timetables and Connections - Italotreno.it". www.italotreno.it. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
Media related to Napoli Centrale railway station at Wikimedia Commons