Nara Institute of Science and Technology
|President||Naotake Ogasawara (Japanese: 小笠原 直毅)|
|Location||Ikoma (Kansai Science City), Nara, Japan|
Nara Institute of Science and Technology (奈良先端科学技術大学院大学? Nara Sentan Kagaku Gijutsu Daigakuin Daigaku), abbreviated as NAIST, is a Japanese national university located in Ikoma, Nara of Kansai Science City. It was founded in 1991 with a focus on research and consists solely of graduate schools in three integrated areas: Biological Sciences, Information Sciences, and Material Sciences. In 2010, NAIST ranked first overall among the 86 Japanese national universities by the Japanese government in its first-ever six-year assessment of national university standards and achievements.
The university has a total of about 1,000 Master's and Doctoral students in its three graduate schools (2010), among which 10% are international students (2010). There are about 200 faculty members and 170 staff (2010).
- 1991: Establishment of the Nara Institute of Science and Technology, including the Graduate School of Information Science and University Library
- 1992: Establishment of the Graduate School of Biological Sciences
- 1993: Establishment of the Research and Education Center for Genetic Information
- 1994: Establishment of the Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology
- 1996: Establishment of the Graduate School of Materials Science
- 1998: Establishment of the Research and Education Center for Materials Science
- 2003: Establishment of the Venture Business laboratory
- Graduate School of Biological Sciences 
- Division of Plant Biology
- Division of Biomedical Science
- Division of Systems Biology
- Plant Global Education Project
- Global COE Program Special Research Group
- Graduate School of Information Science 
- Division of Computer Science
- Division of Media Informatics
- Division of Applied Informatics
- Graduate School of Materials Science 
Centers & Facilities
- Research and Education Center for Genetic Information
- Research and Education Center for Materials Science
- Information Initiative Center
- Center for Frontier Science and Technology
- Center for Industry-Government-Academia Collaboration 
- Center for International Relations 
- Shinya Yamanaka - Former professor, 2012 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine winner
- Tadao Kasami - Former professor, IEEE Fellow
- Yuji Matsumoto - Professor of Information science
- Thomas N. Sato - Professor of biology
- Kazutoshi Takahashi - Dr. Shinya Yamanaka's doctoral student.
- Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Graduate University for Advanced Studies
- Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
- Mozilla Japan
Notes and references
- 2010/03/25, Asahi Shimbun, front page cited on NAIST official web site
- Number of Students on NAIST official website accessed at Oct 10, 2012
- Number of International Students on NAIST official website accessed at Oct 10, 2012
- Number of Faculty on NAIST official website accessed at Oct 10, 2012
- "TOP - NAIST-GSBS". Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "NAIST Graduate School of Information Science". Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- NAIST Graduate School of Materials Science Homepage
- "NAIST Division for Industry-Government-Academia Collaboration". Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "DGE". Retrieved 29 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nara Institute of Science and Technology.|