|• City||7.65 km2 (2.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||55 m (180 ft)|
|• Density||15,000/km2 (39,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The name comes from Narasa Rao, a wealthy landlord who owned much of the surrounding areas some time back.
Geography and climate
Narasaraopeta is the major commercial trading center after Tenali in coastal Andhra Pradesh, Have lot of educational institutes. Narasaraopeta is built on flat land ringed by hills that are an offshoot of the Eastern Ghats. The summer months can get exceedingly hot while winters are mild. Rainfall is due to the monsoon and is concentrated in the months of July–September.
The average annual rainfall of Narasaraopeta is 761 millimeters. The southwest monsoon season contributes 400 mm northeast monsoon contributes 299 mm. Premonsoonal thundershowers contribute 75 mm.
As of 2011[update] census, Narasaraopet had a population of 116,329 with 28,186 households. The total population constitute, 58,898 males and 57,431 females —a sex ratio of 975 females per 1000 males. 10,445 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 5,390 are boys and 5,055 are girls —a ratio of 938 per 1000. The average literacy rate stands at 79.45% with 84,123 literates, significantly higher than the state average of 67.41%.
The Urban Agglomeration had a population of 117,568, of which males constitute 59,514, females constitute 58,054 —a sex ratio of 975 females per 1000 males and 10,519 children are in the age group of 0–6 years. There are a total of 84,889 literates with an average literacy rate of 79.30%.
The municipality of Narasaraopet was constituted in the year 18 May 1915. It got upgraded to Grade–I municipality on 28 April 1980 and has a jurisdictional area of 7.65 km2 (2.95 sq mi).
Narasaraopeta falls in Narasaraopet (Assembly constituency) for Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly. Gopireddy Srinivas Reddy is the present MLA of the constituency from YSR Congress Party. It is also a part of Narasaraopet (Lok Sabha constituency) which was won by Rayapati Sambasiva Rao of Telugu Desam Party.
Narasaraopet is located on the Guntur - Vinukonda - Kurnool - Bellary Road and East side of Chennai - Hyderabad Highway. It is a station on the Guntur-Guntakal line of South Central Railway and falls under the Guntur railway division. The nearest airport is around a 80kms km away in Vijayawada.
Narasaraopeta is surrounded by many engineering, dental, medical and pharmacy colleges. some of the famous include SS&N college (Sri Subbaraya and Narayana college - Established in 1950),PNC&KR College, Narasaraopeta Engineering College, Eswar College of engineering (Kesanupalli), Narasaraopeta Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (NIPS), Tirumala Engineering College (Jonnalagadda), Amara Institute of Engineering and Technology (Satuluru) etc.
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Andhra Pradesh (India): Districts, Cities, Towns and Outgrowth Wards - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". citypopulation.de.
- "District Census Handbook - Guntur" (PDF). Census of India. p. 14,46. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Guntur District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 76,109. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Literacy of AP (Census 2011)" (PDF). Official Portal of Andhra Pradesh Government. p. 43. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "MLA". AP State Portal. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "MP (Lok Sabha)". Government of AP. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies Order, 2008" (PDF). Election Commission of India. p. 22,31. Retrieved 11 October 2014.