Narellan Vale, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population||7,193 (2016 census)|
|Location||60 km (37 mi) from Sydney CBD|
Narellan Vale is a suburb of Sydney, in the Australian state of New South Wales. Narellan Vale is located 60 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Camden Council and is part of the Macarthur region.
The area now known as Narellan Vale was probably originally home to the Tharawal people, based in the Illawarra region, although the Western Sydney-based Darug people and the Southern Highlands-based Gandangara people were also known to have inhabited the greater Camden area. Very early relations with British settlers were cordial but as farmers started clearing and fencing the land affecting food resources in the area, clashes between the groups arose until 1816 when a number of indigenous people were massacred and the remainder retreated from direct conflict with the settlers.
In 1805, wool pioneer John Macarthur was granted 5,000 acres (20 km²) at Cowpastures (now Camden). After the land was cleared, it was used for farming for most of the next 200 years until Sydney's suburban sprawl reached the town of Camden and modern suburbs like Narellan Vale were subdivided into housing blocks.
According to the 2016 census of Population, there were 7,193 people in Narellan Vale.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 3.5% of the population.
- 82.6% of people were born in Australia. The nextmost common countries of birth were England 2.9% and New Zealand 1.6%.
- 88.1% of people spoke only English at home.
- The most common responses for religion were Catholic 31.2%, Anglican 25.4% and No Religion 21.8%.
- There was a high percentage of families with children (55.4%).
- The percentage of children aged 0–14 (23.2%) is substantially higher than the national average (18.7%).
- Like its neighbouring suburbs, there is also a very high proportion of detached houses in the area (96.6%).
There are three schools in Narellan Vale:
- Narellan Vale Public School
- St Clare's Catholic Primary School
- Elizabeth Macarthur High School
Narellan Vale lies in the central ward of Camden Council, currently represented by Theresa Fedeli, the current mayor of Camden, Rob Mills and Ashleigh Cagney. It sits within the state electorate of Camden, represented by Liberal's Peter Sidgreaves and the federal electorate of Hume represented by Liberal's Angus Taylor.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Narellan Vale (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "The History of Camden". Camden Historical Society. Archived from the original on 3 April 2007. Retrieved 14 June 2007.
- "Narellan Vale Public School". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "St Clare's Primary School". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Elizabeth Macarthur High School". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
|This article related to the geography of Sydney is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|